Steering Dampner

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Guardian, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

My 44 Lazer began to get very "jumpy" and hard to control. I replaced the dampners about three weeks ago. Now the levers are very tough to move at all. I figured they would break in, but really haven't. Did I do something wrong? All I did was swap them out.
    After driving it for a while, you seem to get used to it - but once I drive another one and come back to this one, it feels aweful.
    Also, I seem to have traction issues with one tire. The tread still has big knobs, but the little grooves in the knobs are gone. Is this tire done?
    thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guardian,

Thanks for the question. Did the dampners resolve the "jumpy" controls you were experiencing?

If you're not certain if the controls feel correct with the new dampners stop by the Exmark dealer that you bought them from and compare your drive lever control feel to that of a new machine. If they feel the same then youÂ’re in good shape. If yours still feel excessively stiff in comparison, have your dealer look at it.

The tires should wear at relatively the same rate. If one has more traction than the other then you'll want to look at tire pressure and have the drive system inspected by your Exmark dealer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Terry

3. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Terry, thank you for the quick response.

The dampners do feel different from that of a new one. I demo / borrow new ones on occasion. The problem with taking it in to have it looked at is that my dealer is too busy. I'm not knocking him (I know you know him), but they simply don't have time to do quick looks/checkups. You either have to leave it for days or pay $70/hr to get to the head of the line. They do an excellent job though.

Anyway, the tires are not the same age. I had a sidewall puncture well over a year ago. I just wonder what to look for to know when its time to change tires like these.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guardian,

I understand. Your dealer is not the only one that gets backed up this time of the year. It's the nature of the business.

As far as the tires go it really depends a little bit on your comfort level and your terrain. If you've got one tire that is loosing traction then you should probably consider replacing it. From what your telling me I'm guessing that there is plenty of tread left on the tire but it probably isn't going to get you through the summer anyway. Replace it with a new tire that is going to give you the traction and "control" you need when running your unit.

Remember you only have control of the machine if the tires have traction. Keep it safe. If you've got a tire that is loosing traction due to wear replace it. Tires are cheap in comparison to some situations you may get into.

Thanks

Terry