Steering Issues

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Island Lawn, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am begining my 2nd year on my new 48" Metro HP.

It is second only to this forum in being the best thing to happen to my business.

BUT, I've got steering issues.
    Over the past year, it has become increasingly difficult to turn right. I find I'm having to squeeze tighter and tighter to make a turn.
    Now the lever is actually meeting the handle in order to turn.

It seems when I first got it, I barely had to do much squeezing to get it to turn. Not anymore.

Also, the parking brakes appear to do very little braking.

I'm assuming that this is just a simple adjustment.

I'm trying to avoid going to my dealer with this.
    They have yet to instill me with a great deal of confidence in their service department.

AND, I need the quality time with my machine!

I'm reading over the operator's manual and....
    Well, lets just say I'm easily overwhelmed.

Is this something you can hold my hand through, or should I just take it to the dealer?

Thanks for your help!
    You do a great job here!
    :cool:

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Island,

No problem. It's a very simple adjustment but often overlooked and it probably could be described a little better in the manual. The parking brake/brake adjustment is the key to making the unit turn.

If you follow the linkage from the brake band arm up toward the handles you'll find a silver wing nut on each side of the mower. Tighten the wingnuts until you feel tension on the drive levers while engaging the parking brake. This can be adjusted to your liking for a more positive parking brake engagement or a little lighter to ease engagement of the parking brake. I adjust mine so the tire skids if I try to push the mower on a solid surface.

You can also give me a call at 800-667-5296 and if you've got a cordless phone I can walk you through it while your on the phone.

Thanks

Terry

3. Island Lawn

Thanks!

I'll get on that & let you know how it goes!

4. Island Lawn

Ahhh.
    That's better!

If it were any more simple, I might have hurt myself!

Thanks for the hand holding!