Steering on SCag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a TC 19/48, I love it but my friends Laser Z XS's sterring is much easier and lighter, i really hafta muscle the scag, does anyone know why this is or how i can fix it?

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure how you can "fix" it I have the same machine Tiger Cub 19/48 and the yokes seem to pull hard to me also. I also have a Turf Tiger 23/52 and the difference in how these two machines are side by side in regards to the yokes is like night and day. The TT is a smooth, light, and responsive to me, when I get on the TC its a very noticeable difference.

My employee used the TC primarily most of the season and whenever he got on the TT he complained about it being "loose" When I added a second employee 1st guy started using the TT exclusively and eventually liked it better. Now whenever I go out to mow with him he looks at me like a kicked puppy when I hop on the TT... I like the seat on it better than the TC :blush:

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Tiger Cubs both are 48/ 19 Kawasaki's. The hydraulics on the 2003 model seem loose compared to the 2004 model. If you are on a slight incline it will tend to run down the hill, where the 2004 wont even slide. What year Tiger Cub do you have?

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

2004 TC 2005 TT

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a TC 48/21 a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that after a couple of hours of mowing, my arms were tired. I had modified my old mechanical drive Dixon with very light return springs and it takes very little effort to control it. I'm not sure if the 'problem' with the Tiger Cub is actually the dampers or the hydraulic control valves themselves. Guess I'll get accustomed to it.

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

We also bought a Wildcat along with our other 2 Turftigers. The Wildcat steering controls seem very hard. Our solution was to loosen the steering dampeners.:)

7. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hey All,

My first post for this season. Springs a comin'!!! (6 weeks later than the rest the country here in Maine):confused:

Anyway, I bought a Scag 42" Z-Cat last season ('05), and it's now in for seasonal service. I too have steering issues. I find the steering to have slow response, so then I over conmpensate and often spin the wheels. I'm having the exact same problem "running downhill on inclines", mostly with the left control arm. So since last season, has any of you come up with any answers on this control arm variance? The tech at the shop can't seem to see the problem.

I think there is an issue with Scag hydro pumps or the gas shocks or something. I'd like to replace all that and see what happens.

any thoughts?

hillndale

8. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

on both my tiger cub and my wildcat when new had hard steering, it will losen up in time,when i first got the machines, my arms hurt at the end of the day, it was really hard to steer them, not its nice and easy... what i did to help this issue is lube all of the controls, mine were dry when new... as far as the machine moving on a slope, i would bring it back, it shouldnt move at all...sounds llike the hydro's need to be adjusted.. hope this helps you... good luck with your new machine.... there great!!!

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

After demoing a Scag TT I bought the Exmark mainly because of the Scag steering (I don't want to bench press all day long) Too hard.

10. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

well i went to the dealer and the problem was on the steering damper so they replaced it under warrenty, but i sorta like the damper cause it smoothens everything out, i feel to jerky on the exmark