Steering Problem--new 52/18 Fastrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ddelbo, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ddelbo

ddelbo LawnSite Member

Hopefully someone out there can help me with this issue. My new 52" 18HP Honda Fastrak was delivered on Sunday and I was all geared up to mow my 3+ acres with my new Hustler. However, I quickly noticed that my mower veers very badly to the left when both control levers are extended forward equally. Another words, to go straight, I have to extend the left controller about an inch and a half farther than the right controller. Also, I noticed that I spin much faster going clockwise than I do counter-clockwise. It definitely feels like the right side is underpowered. The dealer told me to check the tire pressure and that would solve my problem. I did that, made some tiny adjustments, however the problem still existed.

I called the dealer back and he told me that he spoke with someone at Hustler who told him that the "release valves" probably needed to be pushed all the way in and that I could do that myself. Well, I'm not sure what or where the release valves are. And he also said that it was normal for the machine to veer and I would get used to it--besides, "nobody mows with both levers at full speed anyway." Is all this information correct??? God I hope not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely want mowing my lawn on my new Fastrak to be an enjoyable experience.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The tire pressure and release valves are two things that should be checked, and could cause it.
    But it is not normal for the unit to veer at all, in colder temps the hydros need to be warmed up a few minutes before attempting to make any fine tuning type adjustments, I am not sure if the dealer checked these adjustments while the unit was up to operating temperature.
    Your dealer should take care of this for you, if he does not e-mail me and I can have our customer service department call him and give him some pointers.
    The tracking adjustments are rather simple and can be done quickly by the dealer.

Pj

3. willetts

willetts LawnSite Member

I have a new mini f/s that veers a little to the left.My handles are about 1/2-1 inch apart,is this normal,the dealer says it is,he says he can adjust them but then the other side will be out.It's not a big deal I'm just curious.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The dealer can adjust them so they are equal.

5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Hustler dealer and your handles should be adjusted properly BEFORE you buy it.... they may become offset over time. But even so, if you bring them back in the dealer should be able to set them back to equal with NO PROBLEM! It's a very simple adjustment and can be done in just a few minutes!

He should also be happy to see you when you bring them in for adjustment and offer you a soda while you wait!! :D