STEERING TIPS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jan 1, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

Steering ZTR'S
    Any tips to keep from tearing turf up?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Keep both wheels moving while turning. Practice on your own lawn. Also do a search on this forum for more tips.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I hear 3 point turns help when its really weak turf.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

5. rdh

vandora lawn can you explain more about 3 point turns.

thanks bob for the searches, im going to try them now.

6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Remember from getting your license making a 3 point turn. Here's how it works.

When you're ending a pass make a 90 degree right turn. Then Backup past the next pass. Then make a foward right turn and do the next pass. Make sense?

7. As Bob pointed out practice, practice and practice some more. Take your time on the turns until you get in the rythmn and used to you mower. As Vandora explained use 3 point turns on weak turf or to line up for good straight stripes.

8. rdh

Thanks Vandora Lawn.
    I have Dane Chariot. Spring and fall I have more trouble turning.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If the turf is weak like in the spring and fall,at the end of my pass I do a 09 degree turn ,in place,i pull back on one bar and forward on the other the exact same amount,when im 90 degrees i move forward 5 ft-since i have a 60" cut,and do anothe 90 degree turn,the same way,and go easy until the castors are pointed in the right direction,then you can turn faster,if you dont wait for the castors to slowly turn in the right direction,and just try to turn fast the inside tire will tear as it turns backwards.I also use the double 90 method al year on some spots,it gives you much straighter stripes ,especially right after the turn around.The stripes are awesome when you do it that way,although it does take longer than just turning around in one motion.

10. rdh

THANKS JOHN
    Cant wait till spring to try it.
    Nice pictures.

[Edited by rdh on 01-01-2001 at 11:13 PM]