1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stein Property Services

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Steiner, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

Truck and trailer ready to roll.

IMG_2220.jpg

2. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

Thats a great way to look at it. I really enjoy designing landscapes but when I could actually be making money now (most of my business is maintenance, mowing and brush clearing), my enthusiasm in design disappears. It is worth it if you bid the job right, but a lot of what I deal with, with new customers/ potential customers is who can do what the cheapest. Being a solo op its very hard to spread myself that thin, if you know what I mean, or do anything for free. I feel like that kind of work is filled with countless unpaid drives to and from their house, mostly from the types of "adults" who want something for nothing from a "young kid" (23). Not to sound harsh. I've had people take my designs and plant selections, and just do the job themselves:dizzy:. I'm also upstate, feel free to PM. Your design work is inspiring, even for someone as disgruntled with it as I am.

3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work stein!!! Also from the Syracuse area. You still keeping busy? fall is coming. Do you do a lot of fall cleanups? Nice equipment and work!!

4. Steiner

I have about 5-10 clients who have me put their landscape to bed each fall. I don't sell it too hard, as I try to get them to rely on my spring cleanups instead.

What about you? Mowing? Hardscaping?

-Chris

5. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a golf course superintendent in the area, also mow a handful of lawns on the side. Where do you get most of your mulch? Hafners?

6. Steiner

I get my mulch at Mill Creek on the corner of Taft and Northern boulevard.

20 dollars a yard vs. 30 plus at Hafners. I only go to Hafner's if Mill Creek is already closed for the day as Hafner's has better hours.

-Chris

7. Steiner

Redbud at my mom's house for mother's day and a small patio out of techo parisian.

Schulz and Sandy Pond 807.jpg

Schulz and Sandy Pond 814.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

8. Steiner

Using a new app for the iPad and drawing sketches that really have a nice hand drawn feel to it. The app is called paper and it works really well just make sure you get a fine tipped stylus to work with it!

Here is an example and I will post more of what is possible as I play. Great for conceptualizing your landscape designs!

-Chris

photo.jpg

9. Steiner

Here is another quick doodle to show what is possible with the paper drawing app on the iPad! Great tool to communicate your designs!
    -Chris

image.jpg

10. Porkins

Porkins LawnSite Senior Member

Those turned out pretty great.