Steiner??? Ventrac???

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Jon93091, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Jon93091

Jon93091 LawnSite Member

Anybody here ever heard about or own/run/ran stieners or ventracs? Dad has one I use alot and I love it so mant attachments itll make your head spin. I'd like to get some feedback if you have any experience with them.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Never run one there is a local walmart here, they have 2, looks like front mount mowers high end very expensive looking, there are two big trucks that pull up with two box trailers and about 20 Mexicans get out and cut about 20 minutes and there gone.

3. Jon93091

Jon93091 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply. Never heard of walmart carrying them though the newer ones ar4ent as good as the oldeer ones but the decks are nice ours has a 72". Needlesss to say,, itll cut some grass! haha throws grass 10-20 feet out the chute too.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The owners of ventracs was the owner of stiener.

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 5 of them. An ST18(older utilimax w/dumpbed and cab) A 430 max w/dual wheels, and 3 230 Kubota diesels w/72" decks. Uncompromised cutting ability, striping second to none, and nearly bulletproof. The 230 isn't a zero turn machine, but has a 14" turning radius so it works for me. If you've never driven a front mount machine you don't know what you're missing. The only disandvantage to the front mount is the space it takes on the trailer......Lynn

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lynn do you know the blade speed and does yours have the roller across the back of the deck??

7. Jon93091

Jon93091 LawnSite Member

ours has a roller, the deck is 72" and the machines a 420

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

These guys are cutting retention holes.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I own the Steiner 430 max and a Ventrac 4200. The attachments will swap between the two machines. Really hard to compare the two, the Ventrac being 32hp turbodiesel and the Steiner being 20hp Onan. As for the controls and ease of operation, the Ventrac has the Steiner beat hands down. The Steiner will go in ruffer places than the Ventrac before it gets stuck, and its smaller in size and weight. Almost all of my attachments are Steiners, but because of the Hp, the attachments work better on the Ventrac. The Ventrac has more ground clearance so the Steiner Dozer Blade doesnt line up exactly right for grading, And the Steiner trencher doesnt auger all the dirt to the side quite as well when on the Ventrac, but nothing I cant live with. the Ventrac harley rake is to heavy for the Steiner, its almost to heavy for the Ventrac, even with extra weights. I like the Steiner stump cutter on the Ventrac better than the Ventrac stumpcutter. I now use my Steiner mainly for mowing my own grass, but the Ventrac will do it better and faster, again the Hp factor.

10. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

The Steiner is a very tough handy little tractor that is way stronger than it looks. It is almost a mini skid steer. All the attachments are well thought out and work very well. They are a do all machine. I dont know of another machine that is so versatile and can do so many things. The Ventrac people are the originators of the Steiner. They sold the Steiner company then regrouped and made the Ventrac. The Ventracs are very similar, if you didnt know better you would swear they are made by the same company. The Ventrac is a little newer updated Steiner. This does not make the Steiner bad in any way. The Ventracs do have optional powerplants that are stronger than the Steiner. I had the good fortune to work at a Steiner dealership for a few years and got to see all the attachments and tractors up close. They work very well and if you are considering one dont hesitate you will not be disapointed.