Steiner vs Vantrac

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Gravely76, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Gravely76

Gravely76 LawnSite Member

Desire information about Steiner and Ventrac equipment.

We need a lawn tractor that will rapidly mow 2-5 acres some on a 40 degree slope. I have recently looked at Steiner 430s with 48 and 60 inch mower decks.

Please advise pros and cons

Thank you in advance

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I own both, a 430max Steiner and 32hp diesel Ventrac. I prefer the Ventrac handsdown to the Steiner. If you are going to mow 40degreeslopes, you better get the dualwheel option on either machine. The Steiner has a lower center of gravity. I use the 60inch mowing deck off the steiner on my Ventrac. In fact, almost all of my attachments where bought for the Steiner, they just work better on the Ventrac.

3. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I was interested in both the Steiner and the Ventrac so I ordered info packets from their website. Inside the Ventrac in the introduction it shows the owners who have the Steiner last name and a picture of what appears to be a early model Steiner. I take it the Steiner line was sold off and members from the Steiner family opened a new company offering articulating 4x4 mowers?

I have no experience with either but from what I have seen via the info packets I would pick Ventrac if I had to choose between them. But to tell the truth I would be tickled to death to own either. 4x4 articulated tractors are just cool.

4. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct in this assumption. My understanding (based upon info from a former Steiner-now-Ventrac dealer) is that after the Steiner family sold the Steiner line to Jacobsen, aka Textron, they became increasingly displeased with the management and direction of the product.

Hence, after the necessary waiting period as dictated by the non-competition clause, they started Ventrac.

I don't have any experience with the Ventrac, but did have a 3-day demo (with 60" mower and 48" slip scoop) of a Steiner 420 years ago. All I can say is "wow, what a machine." If I could have presented a strong enough argument for its purchase to my CFO, it never would have left my property.