Step by Step Flower bed installs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Husky, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I started doign landscaping this year as an added service for the customers. I was all maintenance before and have been doing great there, but wanted to expand.

What is the fastest procedure for doing a new install? I have tried different methods like marking and spraying rotortilling then mulching.....and removing sod, tilling then mulching...but all jobs are different size and time consumption baffles me on which is the best and fastest method. Lay down a weed barrier, or is it not important??? remove it, or spray it? Any help as I am new to the added service..

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

each job is different and requires a different method to accomplish it. Somethimes we spray, wait, and then scalp and mulch. Sometimes we spray, wait, till in soil and amendments, plant then mulch, sometimes we cut out the sod, etc. etc. etc.

With experience you will get a feel for what is the best way to do each different job.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Actually i have found that first you plant, then i use my sprayer with the protective wand to spray aorund plants, edge bed, then mulch and pre-m. Never had a complaint about weeds or appearance or dead plants with that method.

4. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

WOW, never thought bout that..

interesting way of going about it

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Its easier to build a bed around your plants instead of building around your edges. that way you can place your plants where you want and space them properly instead of sqeezing them into a pre-edged area.