Step-saver review...is it just me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, May 16, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Okay. I waited and I waited for the step saver to arrive. It finally came in the mail yesterday and I couldn't wait to cut. I tried it on my small POS lawn...no good (I needed more room).

I took it to the closest customer that I could find with a wide open large area. He came out ranting that it was just cut Friday so I told him I was trying it out and it would be a freebie (the cut).

I love the step saver on cement, asphalt etc but I was not too fond of it on the grass. When going full tilt, it seems to jump from side to side on slightly uneven terrain therefore making it look like Stevie Wonder cut it.

After awhile, I took it off and realized that walking isn't so bad after all. Maybe I am dumb but I couldn't come close to a z turn. I didn't expect it to (please note that I said I didn't expect it to) but I couldn't find a way to justify its use if I can't cut it the way I am accustomed to.

I found my hands cramped up after using it. I didn't overpower it with my arms but my hands seem to cramp up badly. Uneven terrain....not good. I found the rear wheels slipped from time to time in reverse...could be my phat ass though.

I can totally see it coming in handy on WIDE OPEN FLAT terrain (interestingly, that is what it says on the literature that accompanied the order). If you order one, in my opinion, don't expect to "thread the needle" like the quote used on their site. In fact, I think it took longer to cut on the saver than without it being a small area.

My time is up. LOve the company, would TOTALLY recommend the mower.......

Am I doing something wrong here?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Like most anything, it takes a little time to get used to something different.

Slow down a bit and get some hours under your belt.
    Then re-evaluate once you get the swing of things.

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

GOOD CALL !! I have used it on every lawn for the past 3 days and its awesome. No complaints. I am no longer tired at the end of the day.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I figured it would turn out this way and I'm glad for you.

Beats walking all that... and gald on hot days, etc...