Step up all you "pros" that price fair!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Apr 5, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of talk about pricing a lawn lately. I hear the ones say that the price is the price and it's not based on what the other LCO is charging.

Here's the question...

You go to a estimate, look it over and decide that the market is $40 for that lawn. Before you give the price, the customer tells you her last guy was charging $53/ cut and if you can beat it you can have the account.

Who would up the price to $45/$47 knowing they could get it or would you "stick" to your market price???

kc

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tell her $50.00 and that's what she gets for opening her mouth.

3. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

What he said!:clapping:

4. K.Carothers

I did.

But do we want it both ways? We complain when someone bobbyballs a account and scream to charge the going rate but then charge more for an account???

kc

5. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

I would have said" thats a little higher than my estimate, I was thinking $50"

If you feel guilty just don't raise her rate for a good while

6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell her 45. You make more than you thought and it leaves the oppurtunity to give her a discount for a referral. If you get me your neighbor I'll knock it down to 43. Get me two I'll do it for forty. Just a thought on one way to make both parties happy.

7. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Unless your gouging, the going rate is whatever someone is willing to pay

8. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That is a really great question. I have built my rep (for what its worth) on being fair, honest and easy to deal with. I would tell her that I could not only beat the price, I would offer her one free fertilizing and half off the fall clean up.

If the last guy did it for that much more, there must be a reason for it. You could always cut it one time and if it really doesnt sit well and it is truely not worth that money, you could adjust accordingly.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Was the other guy just cutting or was he maintaining the property and had the lawn priced in with the rest?
    Just a cut sure I can beat it $50 you want it to looking great then $65 and I'll throw in 5 fert to make sure it looks great :waving:

10. K.Carothers

That's just it, a basic cut with little trimming.

kc