Step us through the process

Discussion in 'Frog Lights' started by LonniesLawns, May 9, 2005.

1. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

How about if we do this --

Landscape lighting I think is a place where many landscapers have the tools and know - how to do a quality job.

Could we do a hypothetical walk through of the entire process from initial bid - to installation? I could type of a very accurate description of a project -- Even supply digital pictures of a property. Then you could guide us on type of lights to use, length of wire runs, etc -- then we could come up with a cost and finally talk about the fine points of installation.

This could be an invaluable thread for members and for you. The more companies who feel comfortable doing lighting -- the better your products will sell!!!

Sound like something we could work on?

2. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

3. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

You can use the picture of the home I provided in the link where I asked a previous question. I can supply more photos if needed and would be happy to do so. ex: front, rear, sides

Steve

4. theyardstop

theyardstop LawnSite Member

I'd really like to see that thread .. GREAT topic.. !

Mark :blob3:

5. LonniesLawns

from KS

yz250fpilot, I beleive that is called hijacking a thread.

6. LonniesLawns

from KS

I will get to work on tis rigt away and will have te description and pics to post by Sunday.

7. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

Thank you for the digital photos, they are great ! I like your house !

1. Always ask the customer what they have in mind to begin with. Do they want the front, sides, back illuminated ? It is always a good idea to listen and improve on the client’s ideas. (if they have any) Many will say “ I don’t know that is why you are here” Always be in control …. Have a clear idea what to suggest and don’t sound like you are reaching for thoughts or will figure it out later. Remember, you are the expert.
    2. In this case say they want only the front.
    3. Suggest always the complete job and they can take away what lights or groups of lights they do not want or cannot afford. Most of the time they will add it immediately or soon after.
    4. Please try when selling the lighting programs not to give them the opportunity to pick out the fixtures. They should only pick out the fixture for those that are above the ground, i.e. bollards and path lights. Most home owners do not know the difference between one spot light and another. Sell them the effect of the lights… do this by showing them digital or advertising photos that illustrate the effect of the lighting at night.
    5. I would put spot lights with 50watt bulbs on the 3 trees in the lawn. I think 2 are oaks and maybe 1 maple.
    6. Brick wall … Use LED well lights Like my LED 1. This will be placed flush with the turf against the wall. I would space them about 36” apart. If you want the columns to stand out even more use a well light with a halogen bulb 20 w Like model SG1 WU. This has a rock guard and it will contrast the light from the LED’s, which tend to have a blue white glow .
    7. In the beds I would use a spot on the birch and spreader lights like N 1 for the box woods The little Jap maple use the larger up well up light W-6 with a 25 w bulb.
    8. If you provide a photo of the beds, I could give you a better idea. I cannot see them to well.
    9. I would use 4 pcs of W-6 and two smaller up lights to light up the brick on the face of the house. 25 and 20 watts respectively. Further I would suggest lighting up the peaks (2) of the house with mini stainless steel spots My SCS-2 place one in each corner of the peak facing up. 20 w each.
    10. I assume there is a walkway from the driveway to the front of the house . I suggest one copper path light P 3 every 4 feet.
    11. The transformer should be placed on the wall in the garage with the photo eye mounted outside. The photo eye activates the system when it gets dark. The timer shuts it off at the designated number of hours after dark. The wire should be 10 gauge two conductor direct burial low voltage wire. With the additional photos of the beds I could calculate the amount of wire needed and the price based upon the material needed, installation time, costs and margin of profit. For all of the above it should take 5 or 6 hours with 4 men. One should be the lead guy that knows how to do this, one an assistant and two laborers.
    Please feel free to ask more questions. I will be happy to provide any information I can.
    Noel

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This is probably one of those overlooked areas that could add to profitability..........
    Good thread...........

9. yz250fpilot

Thanks for the input Noel. I knew more detailed pictures would be needed. I'll have some this afternoon along with some measurements.

Steve

10. yz250fpilot