Step Vans

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Enforcer, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Hey everyone-
    I've been thinking about a new mowing set-up for next year and I though about an International T444E with a landscape be on it, but that would run me about $17,000 when all done, and it wouldn't be enclosed.
    What about a truck like this:
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/720981760.html
    $4,500, fleet maintained, low miles, 350 gas engine (I don't mow a lawn that is more than 4 miles from my house, and only 3 lawns 10 miles away) I have a friend who could fab up a nice ramp for the back (he's an awesome fabricator) plenty of space inside, back door can be left open to keep the gas smell down. I would also use it to haul a sprint car (which I hope to have by the 2010 racing season) In winter I could keep it at one of my customer's farm place inside the rodent-free pole shed.) I would keep my other truck and trailer in case of break downs and for spring and fall clean-up. What do you guys think? Positives and negatives.
    Thanks in advance!
    P.S. Pics are welcome!

2. I have not seen any step vans used like you want, several years ago there was somebody that modified a old school bus that was pretty slick.

3. Lawn Enforcer

Someone on Lawnsite had or has one, I've seen it. A school bus is maybe too big for what I need, an 18 ft step van would probably do the trick.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Any other comments anybody?

5. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

I mow and also drive for fedex, I can tell you thats a pretty decent price on there. Is gmc the actual chassis maker? If so I know those ones arent the best. Expect about 7 mpg on a good day. The body is aluminum right? Make sure you get to know an aluminum welder. Does it have two seats? What if a third needs to ride?

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

What's wrong with using a pickup and enclosed trailer?

7. Lawn Enforcer

Like I said, my route is very tight, and when I expand, I will drive about 7 miles to another town, and then it would be a tight route there. I wouldn't need a third seat, and if I did, it would be simple to install one. It would be a cheap rolling billboard and it would keep my equipment enclosed, and no trailer.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Why not? Sounds like a decent plan. Depending on the ramp style if your ability to pull a trailer would not be there.

9. Lawn Enforcer

I talked to my friend and he said he's seen it done before, and he could come up with an easy to use ramp.

10. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

think about this before you buy one. Those older vehicles are easy to hotwire. Someone could easily hotwire your truck and drive off with all your equipment. I would just use your money to buy an enclosed trailer.