stepping on toes across the street?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 4, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was approached by this guy today, came over from his house across the street from where i was cutting. i get the usual.."you the boss.." i go over to look over the yard, he wanted the weekly service. really nice, high quality house and lawn, obviously being done by a landscaper. The guy tells me, he's happy with the lawn, just not the guys schedule, doesn't come weekly like he says he's going to. he commented he sees me across the street like clockwork. (cool image for me)
    now i'm at a crossroads... i feel like i'm stealing accounts since i know I'll see this guy every week cutting other houses on the block, but the homeowner approached me.......
    what would you do, I'll tell you what i did after your opinions.

2. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

It's not you who should feel embarrassed. It's the other guy who can't show up when he says he can. Take the compliment, the customer, and his money. The other guy me be unhappy, but that's all his doing.

3. satch

satch LawnSite Member

There was a time i would have walked away,but not any more nothing personal just buisness.Take the yard.

4. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

It is certain that your quality of work caught this guys eye. He sees that you are also dependable to show up. Take the account. It is the other guys fault he can't provide the service. You are in this to make money not friends. Right!?

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

its a free country i would take it no matter who approached who.

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I agree with the above statement with one exception. Make sure he terminates his contract with the other lco before you start service. I've seen it happen more than once when the slimeball homeowner doesn't say anything to the current lco and leaves it up to you and him to hash it out when he finds you cutting what he believes is his clients yard.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Take your usual price to do that yard, then add 25%.

If you get the yard, you shouldn't feel bad for 2 reasons.

1. The homeowner called (came over to you). You didn't see the other LCO mowing, then 10 minutes later go to the homeowner and tell the homeowner "I'll do your yard for $10 cheaper / week then the guy you have now".

2. If you charge 25% more, then most likely you won't be lowballing the other guy, plus you're able to raise your bottom line.

If the new homeowner says "my guy is doing it for 25% less than what you quoted", you know 2 things.

1. You're right in line with pricing with your competition.

2. You can say "no, he's NOT doing it for that price" or something like that, since the new homeowner is tracking you down for a price.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

9. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

You're not stealing the account, just filling a need. Being it's right across from an existing account there's no travel time involved. Go for it.

10. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I wouldn't feel bad at all. The homeowner approached you, end of story.