stepping on toes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Apr 20, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I went today to check out a prospective lawn job. Spring cleanup, mowing, fert., the usual stuff. When I got there the lady told me that she had had another company servicing her lawn for the past 10 years. She wants them to continue to do it but wants me there as backup. It seems the other guy has a tendency to not show up for weeks at a time. She says she feels bad to tell him to stop coming. She then asked me to do her cleanup and first app of fert. I am going to do it only because it is a giant yard and there is some good money to be made here, but I dont want to step on the other guys toes. If he doesnt show up for weeks at a time it is not my problem....RIGHT?

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

BS. Are you willing to be the "back-up"? If they aren't there for weeks at a time, either she is lying or she needs to hire a dependable company. IMO, it's only your problem if you take the work as the backup guy. Sell her and make it yours. If they've been doing it for 10 years and don't respect her enough to be there when they say they are, they don't deserve her, especially if it is a regular occurence.

3. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I think the problem is that here is a 70 year old lady that enjoys her yard. Her husband had hired this company before he died and feels bad getting rid of them. I told her I would take on the cleanup but could not continue unless the property was mine to care for.

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

sounds good to me, thats the way to do it.

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good to me too. She has issues with it, but it is for her to deal with, not you. Good choice, IMO.

6. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I wouldn't touch anything as far as weekly maintenance goes. I think you would be playing with a wild fire. What happens when a rock goes through the siding on the house or you damage something. Your going to have both companies pointing the finger at the other.