Stepping up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YardKeeper08, May 19, 2008.

1. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I finally have decided to go with a Toro 48”, gear drive, fixed deck walk behind (first one) w/ 15 HP Kawasaki (Toyed with the idea of a Quick 44”) but for $300 different and local service. My local dealer gave me a price of $3,300. Do you guys think that’s a good deal and is there any thing I maybe missing. I think I’m also going to go with the pistol grips vs. the T-bar. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to try to get it with-in the week or so.

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/tf_fixedgear/30688.html

Thanks

2. YardKeeper08

from Iowa

Anyone out there?

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

3300 is about the right price, and by all means get the T-bar lol

The reason only Toro has T-bars is because Toro's T-bar is patented, it is that good and
    it is against the law to manufacture a mower with a T-bar if your name is not Toro Inc.

Also, with that fixed deck plan on a learning curve, it takes time to properly master that machine.
    It is powerful, fast, and light weight, hence temperamental: Nice and easy does it.
    But it's all I use, I have two of them and I wouldn't trade them for any other Wb out there,
    matter of fact I wouldn't trade any one of mine for any three of anyone else's lol.

Mine are 30197's, I'm guessing they have a newer model number now, I think 2005 was the last year for 30197.
    Once you get proficient with it you might consider getting a Velke.
    You can walk them in 3rd gear and 4th is hard core stepping, but for 5th gear mowing you'll need a Velke.
    Either way you'll want to start out learning in 2nd or 3rd so take your time.

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

the t-bar is a very easy machine to use. any dummy can drive one (not cut per say, but safely drive). you dont have to worry about it getting away from you like a pistol grip.

5. YardKeeper08

from Iowa

Ok well I went to the dealer to look things over and I hate (not really) to say it but I changed my mind. They have a 48" exmark, gear, fixed deck with the enhanced control system. It just felt so natural to control. Plus its $100 cheaper than the Toro and has a two year warranty verses one year. I think she’s going to be mine. I have a really hard time making up my mind but it usually works out well making the decision at the end. I went from a Quick, Toro now Exmark. It’s just a hard decision when you want the best you can afford and other options keep popping up. I guess you just have to pull the trigger and be glad you have what you do (I'm thankful).

6. dura to the max

from georgia

$100 isnt that much on a machine that is going to make you that kind of money. i love exmark and toro, in your case forget the $100 and buy from the dealer you're more comfortable w/. any dealer can talk a nice talk to sell a mower, but which one is going to stand behind it? dealer support is crucial. $100 is nothing on that kind of mower. they're both great machines (the toro is safer but the exmark is a sweeeet mower). look into upgrading to a turf tracer though, you wont regret it.

7. YardKeeper08

from Iowa

Well the $100 really isn’t the selling point. I really like the grips and the two year warranty. Basically the two machines look almost the same past that. The dealer I'm working with really seems to have their operation up to par. Also I work full-time about a mile or two from their shop. As for the turf tracer jumping to the hydro drive wouldn’t be the best financial decision. It adds over $1,000 to the price. I'm just getting the ball rolling business wise and the gear will do great. But defiantly in the future I'll upgrade to hydros w/ floating decks. I just can’t justify the big price jump for what I need. Do you have the "ECS" style grips on yours?

8. dura to the max

from georgia

i forgot that exmark quit making the floating deck on the gear drive models, its a shame. i have the pistol grips on my machine but want to order the ecs kit asap. i do love the ecs, dream to run. the toro is a very easy machine to operate though. that t-bar is the easiest of any unit i've ever used.