Steps and raised patios...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've read all the posts on the proper fill method and decided that in the future I will try to apply the pedestal method. In the event that you don't use the pedestal method, what is the proper fill? I can't seem to find a straightforward answer in any of the posts. I keep thinking about a job I did last fall where I used 3/4 angular for it's compaction and drainage properties. Should I have used crusher run, or can I relax?:cry:

DSC00634.jpg

2. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I always use 1" limestone with dust for all step applications and make sure to use water for helping settle all materials.

3. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to comment on this. Every Job I've ever done has used either modified stone as the fill material or the pedestal method which I prefer. There was ONE job where I took the advice of a contractor and used clean stone as the fill. Clean stone is almost self leveling and fills easily. You should/have to use a geotextile over it before placing pavers on top because the sand..when it dries out will settle down into the open aggregate and cause a failure. I did this job with 4 steps, a landing, then 4 more steps and a landing.

About two years later, I received a phonecall from the client and he said a mouse or rat had found a way to get in between the blocks and remove enough stone to cause a slight cave in. When I arrived to examine the steps, sure enough the lower landing sank several inches. The steps were NOT on the pedestal method and they are now off level. The caps have not become unglued yet, but the only way to fix this will be to air chisel off the caps, and re-level the riser blocks. Since everything is backfilled with clean stone, once the blocks come out - forget it, there will be an avalanche and I'll loose the whole thing. I've already set a date to re-build the whole staircase (and install a new driveway since the client is still happy with my work) but I learned my lesson. NOOOOOO CLEAN STONE FOR FILLING STEPS!!! unless they are on solid blocks or modified stone!

4. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

what kind of website is that? It doesn't even have any other pages. Why don't you tell us what your product does and how it works.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

All I have to say is if it is so great, and you have the patent for it, then why not show us your handi work. I am interested in reading more about it.

6. zedosix

Clean stone is fine as long as it is used just at the edge of the wall, block whatever. As you are probably aware in canada we have more than one freeze thaw cycle per winter and if the stone is compacted granular, it will expand and blow out the caps on steps. From my experience it works for us. I would be interested in reading more about the wright frames.

7. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

what is this wright product made of galvanized steel, steel, aluminum? Where do we find local distributors? I own a garden center/supply yard. How do you become a distributor if interested?

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I would possibly be interested in becoming a distributor.

Are your territory specific?

For example we have a shop in one county and an office in another, meaning we have 2 locations.

If we became a distributor, would we be the ONLY distributors for specific territories?

9. zedosix

I need to hear from someone or see a video of how it is made. I would be interested in giving the system a try for sure. I build so many steps each year, I would love to save time and charge the same. Thats bad eh?

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I would be interested in distributorship possibilities. I will call the number listed to get more info. Two things I'd like to ask in an open forum , are you offering a unit for corner steps. What I mean is, do you have a "quarter round" model. In the last couple years we have had an influx of requests for these. I think last year alone we built 7-8 sets of steps with small landings and a couple steps down to a patio, walk or driveway. I dread building steps, did I mention I hate steps. My second question open for comment is can this frame be anchored somehow to be used indepently of a structure? Such as in a SRW terraced yard or raised patio?