Steps for laying sod?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jayycrew, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jayycrew

jayycrew LawnSite Member

Does anyone now the step for laying sod. I have a customer that has weeds and spots of bermuda in front and back yard areas. Do I just till it all up? Do I put a fertilizer down first? Please help!!!!
  2. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

Are you going to re-sod the entire yard or just try to patch in certain areas?
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ
    Posts: 1,796 do you want the bermuda? Tilling it will only prpigate it more. You'll cut rhyzomes and stolons so it woukld be almost as bad as if you had spriged it in the lawn instead of getting rid of it. Bermuda is the predominant grass here and what most people want. Don't know about where you are.
  4. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

Green side up! :waving:
  5. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you really don't know......round up the whole yard, wait about 2 weeks, till up yard and adding top soil wont hurt either, check pH and add lime if needed, lay sod, fert, water, bill, collect money.
  6. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Is the yard primary grass St. Augusine? If you are trying to get rid of Bermuda in St. Augustine good luck. As out4now said tilling it will only make it grow more. You must spot kill the area (are you liscensed?), remove the dead, and then lay new sod, even then it may come back if you don't have it all removed. I've been battling the same problem in my own yard for the past 2 years and it seems like the Berumda is winning out so I'm just going to embrace it. It's better grass anyways, less watering, cinch bugs, etc.

Here's a website that may help you
  7. jayycrew

jayycrew LawnSite Member

I am wanting to plant bermuda. It is going to take around 8 pallets, but there is areas that already have bermuda plus patches winter weeds. The bermuda is dead right now so couldn't I just till it all up and lay sod? What is the proper steps for this? What type of fertilizer and when do I put it down? Before I lay the sod or after? Thanks for the help!!!!
  8. jayycrew

jayycrew LawnSite Member

One thing I forgot to mention! The customer has a sprinkler system so if I am going to lay new sod down and I need to till up all the old grass what would be your advise on this issue.....?
  9. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

10. jayycrew

jayycrew LawnSite Member

Why would I need to contact TDA?