Steps to get licensed in Forida

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bukeeper1, Dec 6, 2006.

1. bukeeper1

bukeeper1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Does anyone know the licensing regulations in Florida and the steps that need to be taken to get licensed?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bukeeper

I am a provider of CEUs in the State of Florida. I plan on giving the License CEUs course in the near future.

edit - can't post an email address

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

BU.

I hope you got a couple years of experience under your belt....its not like in some states where you just send in your money and your good to go...

http://www.flaes.org/aes-ent/licenseandcert.html

here is some reading for you. I'm sure Ric will get you the info you need as well.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marc

The Laws have changed in Florida on Limited Pesticide Certification. You no longer need proof of 3 yrs experience in the Green Industry. Any one can take the (NOW) 6 hour Course and then sit for a very easy 50 question Multiply Guess test. Of Course Proof of Insurance is Required. BTW The 6 Hour Course in designed to get 100% passing rate, and not necessarily teach total pesticide application. However none of us know Pesticide application 100%

Although commonly called the Roundup license, The Limited Pesticide License does cover Ornamental Pesticide control which can be a very big market. It does not include Turf Management of chemical application to Turf. The Limited License does restrict you to a 4 gal hand pump spray tanks and therefore under law a electric Back pack would be illegal.

The Commercial Pesticide Certification That I have does cover Turf as well as Ornamental etc. In fact as a Certified Commercial L&O operator We can cross over into Road & Ride away and some forms of Aquatic application. However you had the Florida Commercial Certification at one time I believe, and Know how hard it is to get. It takes many years of working under a CPO before you can sit for the hardest Pesticide test in the Nation.

5. MarcSmith

How I wish I never let it lapse....:( Oh well... Life goes on....
    Does florida offer reciprocity yet?

Your post reminded me that I need to get my CEUs for DC done by Feb...Uhg...

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

My apology for posting the Email address. anyone may contact me by PM.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marc

No Reciprocity as I know of. However You can sit for the Commercial Test again by just applying. No requirement since you took it at least once before regardless of whether you passed. BTW they tell me since Dr Sung stopped writing the test more people are passing. When I took the tests only 40% were passing, now well over 50% are passing.

Had you never taken the test, then you would need the last year before taking the test working under a CPO.

8. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

To elaborate on what Ric said,
    The Limited commercial landscape maintenance License which he is talking about having new laws and guidelines. The cost of the course is $150.00 dollars which includes the studying booklet (which you should get it before the class to study first, its 50+ pages)All you need is a photo of your self along with copy of minimum insurance which is;
    Bodily 100,000 each person and 300,000 each occurrence;and property damage,50,000 each occurrence and 100,000 in aggregate;or single limited coverage:400,000 in aggregate.

According to the state IF you wont to apply fertilizer that is combined with any herbicides or pesticides I,E, weed and feed, pre emergent etc,, you will need a (PCO) License which is the hardest in the Nation to get.

The state has change all kinda of laws some good some bad.

9. MarcSmith

Florida has sucha unique ecosytem that it makes sense for it be harder than most to get legal. But That also deters many for getting legal. so yous till get a lot fly-by-nighters with the nuke-em til-they-glow approach.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gill

I must be the Low Baller because I only Charge $ 100 for the 6 hour course. My next one won't be until the first week in March. But I do not supply the state approved Study Material. I Just tell people were to get it long before the class. I like to give CEU classes which target the Limited License. Since I had a Nursery before Hurricane Charlie blew it away, I try and stay with Ornamental Education instead of turf. Over the Top weed control can be a very valuable course. But since the LCO is trimming Shrubbery they should be well versed in ornamental pest control and IPM.