1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Steps to make Nicer Grass??? need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 2, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have a customer with an old house that was abbandoned for years and he restored it and I dont think the lawn was really "redone", just mowed for a few years, probably overseeded etc. It looks ok from a distance but when you get on top of it you realise how crappy it is. Theres alot of thyme, some moss, plenty o weeds, and the grassy areas suck to much to be considered sod, its almost there but really weak, my mower tears it up pretty easy. So I just need to know the steps in making it significantly nicer, not perfect cause the guy doesnt want it completely redone or anything extreem. His words "it doesnt have to be a golf course". So, weed and feed? Fertiliser? Overseed? Anything else and in what order? Thanks for any help.
  2. I've found core aeration really brings a lawn around. It's most effective done in the fall.
    Take core samples now and get the results. Then after you aerate in the fall you feed the roots. A poor lawn will about double in quality.
    It'll need some broadleaf weed control if you have a license, or just sub it out if you don't. I prefer fall weed control too. Just one app is really effective.
    This combination gets lots of results for little effort and money.
    Dunno about overseeding as it's not really necessary here with bluegrass.
  3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thanks for the info, I'll have to check into buying an aerator.
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

5. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

Down here I would immediately start a weed and feed program, then aerate and overseed in the fall for a remarkable improvement by this time next year. Rent an aerator
  6. no1sportz

no1sportz LawnSite Member

I am no lawn pro, just a homeowner with a decent amount of time invested in perfecting my lawn...lol. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING you should test the pH of the soil. That will tell you a lot. From there you can move forward properly.

Adding nitrogen, aerating, overseeding, etc, etc. mean nothing if the soil pH is off.
  7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Get on a good fertilizer/weed control program. Rent an aerator in the early fall. Overseed at the same time if it is a FB lawn