1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Steps w/Bullnose treads

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, Mar 4, 2007.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have pics ?
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Josh - Here are a couple

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a few for you.

job pics 005.jpg

Copy of P1010142.jpg

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You mid-atlantic guys are big on the bullnose.

You see very very very little of that around here.
  5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

CG and Mckee, what's the height of the rise on your steps?
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

In both of your pics, did you lay right up against the siding???
  7. cgland

The rise on the steps is 6" (or maybe a bit shorter than that due to the thickness of the bullnose)

Dan - The first pic we are against the ledgerboard on the top step and end up below the siding on the bottom step. Second pic we are against the siding. Didn't feel it was necessary to "J" that one.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering what you did to flash behind the block. Even if it's a pedestal installation I think I'd still want some sort of flashing/ice dam material against any framing. The block will hold moisture regardless...

Plus if you are against the siding, there are weep holes in the bottom of the siding that will allow moisture to get up inside.

Just another reason why steps are a PITA!
  9. cgland

In the second pic the siding is flashed, just not "j"'d It's alot easier to pull the siding off and flash than it is to find the correct color "j", cut it, install it, ...etc. Usually on single steps we just flash. Multiples we will "j" I'm always more worried about the house than my work.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a tip for bullnose.

If your doing a pool deck and coping use a clay brick bullnose as the coping. Its alot cheaper then the techo bullnose! Also they have some clay bullnose that is called 'remodler bullnose, that is notched. The way its notched allows you to use motar and not see it.