steps/ worse case

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Frontier-Lawn, May 29, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok i have to work on my free 36" scag to get it to start. i know i need a new battery. its been siting in the woods over grown with vines for 3 yrs. i has a new motor/ tranny. so what else do i have to do to it to make it start?

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Change belts, grease zerks, clean deck and you should be all set.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Dump the old gas out of it. Take the carb off. Remove the blow off the carbs and the needles. Clean everything with carb cleaner. Then put it back together the exact way you took it apart. Make sure the number of turns it took to take the needles out are the same when you put them back in.

Change the oil. This is a biggie. The oil doesn't go bad, its the additives in the oil that do.

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Dont forget any electrical connections, wiring, or safety switches that may have rusted. Check them all out, clean them, and give them a squirt of electrical grease to keep the moisture out.

Brian

5. Frontier-Lawn

6. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Check ebay, I think you'll find some there. If your looking for a free one, I'm not sure.

7. Frontier-Lawn

ok i tryed to wigel it lose it wont budge. how do i pull it out of the woods

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Is it still sitting in the woods. Or did you bring it home already. If its still in the woods. Is it on the trailer. If it is hook it up to your truck and tow it away. If its on the ground. Get some rope and tow it out of the woods with your truck.

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Just hook a rope to it, hitch the rope to your trailer hitch, and pull it free, or better yet, get a chainsaw, cut the vines, and then drag it out after slashing a path through the vines. Also, I'd recommend putting new tires on it,or tubes if it has any in the tires. just to prevent any issues arising from dryrotting rubber. Also replace the rubber fuel lines if there are any. anything thats rubber and carries any pressure, replace it now or it'll cost you later.

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I will be offering a grammar and punctuation instructional session, free of charge to LS members, later this week. Those of you who know you should enroll in this course of instruction, please sign up now. Those of you who have no idea that you come across as a bumbling 4th grade drop-out, I will take the time to send you a personal invitation to my seminar.

Thanks,
    Brian