Steps you take to clean equipment at the end of the day?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by C.J., May 16, 2013.

1. C.J.

C.J. LawnSite Member

what methods do yall use to clean your equipment at the end of each day?

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I typically just blow mine off with the blower after the last job of the day. If there's mud on the mowers, I'll also scrape that off. I also scrape the decks every time I sharpen blades. I just don't have time to do much else, I try to keep the equipment clean enough to be able to detect leaks or other problems.

3. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

I blow all my stuff off after each use including my truck. I clean all other things when I fuel up so dirt does not get in the tanks, and clean the engines when I change or blow out air filters. I also scrape the decks as needed. I do not do much when I get home because I be tirerds!!

4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow it off with backpack blower between each job if necessary. If mowers are muddy they get power washed every now and then.

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Blow em off and cover em up. Bout it

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Blown off daily, trailers blown out daily. Fridays everything is washed, not power washed and checked over for any problems. Trucks are waxed monthly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

End of day

Hose off line trimmer shaft and guard

BP blower mower and top of deck, keep safety switches and all electrics dry

Hose underside of deck

Light dirt blow out trailer.

Though this time of the year never shut the blades off until the mower is in the trailer. With the spring growth quite often when the blades shut off the mower takes a grass dump.

Better to have the mower do a dump in the trailer then in the street in front of the customers property.

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

When you guys scrape/hose off the underside of your deck, what do you do to catch all the gunk/slop?

I have a gravel drive and it's a PITA no matter if I scrape, or hose.
    Scraping is less messy, but doesn't get the deck as clean. I prop up the front of the walk behind, slide a piece of cardboard under it, and start scraping.

OR, I prop up the front and blast the stuff off with a hose - causing piles of "slop" to come falling down. This causes a freaking mess though, and getting it all picked up requires waiting for it to dry in order to remove the "clump".

I never really see anyone talk about HOW they clean their decks. I'd love to find an easier way.

9. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a putty knife and put a plastic tarp under the deck while I'm scraping. When I'm done, I fold up the tarp and dump the gunk in a bag or trash can. For some reason, my dog loves the packed grass clumps :laugh:

10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

sears has a nice 4" putty scraper, made of metal, rubber handle, that's what i use on 61" ztr much more efficient then the 2" one i was using.