1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, Aug 21, 2007.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Just venting . My helper laid out some steps over the weekend and laid the base course wrong ! He didn't figure for the cap on top and figured the measurements in stages of 6" instead of figuring the base couse to sit 3" below our pavement string . He should have addedd 3" to the total . The modified base should have measured 33" from the threshold not 30" !!! AHHHH . Half a day of work wasted . Now I have to go out there rip it all up( he filled the base course with modified in the middle already and tamped. It's a 7' x 7' landing. Sorry I had to vent.
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Atleast he won't make that mistake again!

My guys make mistakes now and than. People make mistakes. As long as they do not make the same one twice i don't flip out.

Sometimes we need to explain more stuff to our guys. Ofcourse laying out stairs is easy and common sense for me and you, but for a helper its something difficult.
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I figure my guys will stop making mistakes the day I do.
  4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Your right. The good thing is only the base course is laid. No grid installed yet or glue. That would have been a bigger mess.
  5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen! I wish everyone would realize they are human, except for me I never make mistakes.:rolleyes:
  6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You can un-glue caps, blocks, treads, etc. by using a air chisel accessory and a small air compressor. It works great! Under most conditions, you won't break the caps or damage the block enough to notice. I fixed some steps that were 6 feet wide by 9 high. I chiseled off each cap, fixed the riser, and re-layed the caps back on. Only needed minimal scraping with a good putty knife. We use the air chisel all the time for small demolition, rock facing, chipping stubborn blocks that have a fat face and even cutting rebar. Great tool to have.
  7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

air chisels are awesome. bought one for like $12 a Home Cheapo and it worked great. i think you can get them at harbor tool and freight for even cheaper. the only prob is always having an air compressor with you.
  8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a small two tank Dewalt...about the size the roofers use. it's a high recovery model. Compressed air is good for small tools, blowing off block, drying caps or cut pavers, and filling stupid hand truck or wheelbarrow tires that go flat. (actually mine are solid filled) but you get the idea.
  9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

We dont live in a perfect world.
  10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

sent you a message josh