steps

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobcatnj, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

when you guys install steps (from a retaining wall or from house) what do you use for the inside of the step. do you just fill it with stone??

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I would use a 3/4 Crush Stone. build your base then fill in level with the first row, compact make sure to compact it then start your next row with the front going across the crushed stone.

Jeff

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Manufacturer recommendations vary by manufacturer.

Versa-lok says to create a level pad and build up with standard units to the desired hieght.

Keystone says to use standard units (~105 pounds) as opposed to compacs (shorter front to back than the standards, and ~85 lbs), and set the face of the block on the tail of the block below it, supporting the tail with compacted gravel.

Other manufacturers I'm not sure of. Check your specific manufacturer for what they recommend.

HTH.

Dan

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

like dan said, check mnfg specs. I use Allan Block 90% of the time, and we build up 3/4 crushed behind one stair course and build on top of that. The blocks from one step to the next do not touch.

You should also put a block on top of the course below you and use as a reference to make sure you have perfect elevation. I also install a cap on the stair below the one I am working to make sure I get my tread depth perfect. You don't want to set the stair too close and end up forcing in the caps, or even worse, making unnecessary cuts.

5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on teh block always compact 3/4 behind actual step....if its large block i willover lap th etop block with the lower block and use concrete adhesive then make up the difference in the run with the cap.

Chuck