Sterling Bullet/Dodge 4500/5500 owners

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobcat_ron, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Speak up here please, any issues on these trucks, I know Sterling is done and over, but how are they holding up, reason I ask is I need to start planning for a new/used truck purchase and a Dodge 4500/5500 cab and chassis with a 6 speed is what will work for me, all you 1 ton and under sissies need not answer.

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I asked awhile ago and they are just not out there, don't know why not because the specs look great.

3. bobcat_ron

I've seen more Dodges and new Fords here, so I am getting antsy now.
    I had to get it towed this morning due to a hot start issue, it's all warranty, but it runs out in 2010, so I need to start looking now.
    It's a shame too, I've only got 43,000 kms (26,718 miles to you Yanks) and it's my baby.

I distinctly remember saying that about my T190.

4. bobcat_ron

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I shouldn't tell you about some Bullets I saw for $29,000? They were auto though.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

John at Dams is trying to get rid of the Sterlings they are not selling.

As for a truck keep fixing the Ford when it breaks. The newer trucks are not worth it.

If I was in your position I would be looking for a bigger truck. A truck that you could get rid of the trailer and have a ramp deck on a single axle 5 ton that way you load the skid steer on with what ever attachments and off you go. Easier to get to the jobsite etc.

7. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Happy with my 5500 GMC so far....too soon to know if there will be any issues though

8. bobcat_ron

I have thought of the bigger truck, but insurance is huge, I am already paying $1500 a year, and my Dad is paying nearly $3000 for his mid-liner Mack, so if I got a slightly bigger truck, I can anticipate around $2200 a year, that's too much, plus trying to find an Automatic in a truck that big is tough, and yes, an Auto is a must in a truck like that, the "pick up" style trucks are not a big deal. My brother's buddy has a little Kenny and he wishes it were and Auto, he hates shifting so little with all that torque.

9. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Insurance for mine was only a couple of hundred dollars more them my 2500HD Duramax Allison.

10. GMD1984

GMD1984 LawnSite Member

Mine is comeing for my towing compeny i wanted an auto and 4X4 and the chevy 5500 is to big so i hope its a good truck, i have fords and chevys