Lawn Care Forum banner

Sterling dump truck motor question

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  grassman222 
#1 ·
Hi everybody ,
One of the local car lots around here has a 2002 Sterling single axle dump truck for sale. Its clean looking ,its has 73,000 original miles , one owner , 5+2 manual trans., Mercedes engine . My question is about the engine, i have never had a vehicle with a Mercedes engine so i dont know anything about them . Are they any good ? , problems?, junk ? . just thought id ask and see what everyone thinks . Thanks :usflag:

#2 ·
can you get us an engine model # ? generally ,the benz engines are good on fuel , but some are known for severe exhaust leaks [which on the sterling gets sucked into the cabin air intake making you sick] ,a lousey engine brake [holding your cupped hand in the wind is usually concidered more effective ] ,head gasket issues and injector issues ,but mostly on the newer versions .The other kicker is that since they are not a common engine ,not many mechanics know anything about them,let alone have they even worked on them .

#3 ·
can you get us an engine model # ? generally ,the benz engines are good on fuel , but some are known for severe exhaust leaks [which on the sterling gets sucked into the cabin air intake making you sick] ,a lousey engine brake [holding your cupped hand in the wind is usually concidered more effective ] ,head gasket issues and injector issues ,but mostly on the newer versions .The other kicker is that since they are not a common engine ,not many mechanics know anything about them,let alone have they even worked on them .
i didnt get a model# on the engine . i think im staying clear of it . in my opinion there asking to much anyway , but i am cheap so :). I dont think i mentioned they are asking $18,500 for it . Its a really nice looking truck but im going to hold on to money for something else . mainly because i have know clue about the motor at all .

#4 ·
i know u said you were going to stay clear of it but here is also another thing to look at. we have 40 couple of those trucks they are nice trucks my shop doesn't have any but we do borrow them. the BIG problem is ours are all 2004-06 trucks and sterling is no longer in business some parts are no longer made for them and they have cannibalized 2 trucks i know of to keep others going so i would stay well away from them just imagine trying to get some of the parts 5 years from now.

as for the mercedies engine we have some freightshakers with them ours is a 2004 stake body this past year we have only seen it at our shop for about 2 months the rest has been at our repair shop or the dealer and most of it has bee fuel and computer problems. as a matter of fact is been at the dealer for 2 weeks now and its not the only one.

#5 ·
i know u said you were going to stay clear of it but here is also another thing to look at. we have 40 couple of those trucks they are nice trucks my shop doesn't have any but we do borrow them. the BIG problem is ours are all 2004-06 trucks and sterling is no longer in business some parts are no longer made for them and they have cannibalized 2 trucks i know of to keep others going so i would stay well away from them just imagine trying to get some of the parts 5 years from now.

as for the mercedies engine we have some freightshakers with them ours is a 2004 stake body this past year we have only seen it at our shop for about 2 months the rest has been at our repair shop or the dealer and most of it has bee fuel and computer problems. as a matter of fact is been at the dealer for 2 weeks now and its not the only one.
i have a customer that used to have his own kenworth dealership , and he is semi retired now but he still does seminars and classes for kenworth . I was going to ask him if he still has any connections to get me a nice kenworth single axle dump. my problem right now is justifying spending a ton of money on anything becasue its not something im going to drive everyday . I dont know , ill figure something out one day . :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.