Sterling trucks are no more

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

An interesting development in the truck world. Freightliner is pulling the plug on the Sterling line. That will signal the end of the Ford big truck lineage.

The worst part is the closing of the plant in Ontario. Freightliner is closing the Western Star plant in Portland and in keeping of the current trend of exporting jobs, they are moving the WS production to Mexico. The military portion of the Freightliner program is moving to the Carolinas somewhere. They sited higher production costs in Portland as a reason for the move. A sign of things to come.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is old news :laugh:

It is just typical of the German company they moved all Chrysler production to Mexico.

Sterling was a good truck but not as good as what Ford used to build. Mack is now building a truck that is the same price as the Sterling. Western Star has become Freightlinerized aka cheaply constructed.

Want a good vocational truck your only choice is the T-800 Kenworth.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i thought Diamler Chrysler owned Sterling... the new "light duty" trucks they make now are the same as the Ram 4500/5500

the "Bullet"

http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/

EDIT: never mind...Freightliner is owned by DC anyway...my mistake

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks KSSS now GR can whine about people in Ontario not having jobs :laugh:

GR how long ago did sterling go out? The dealer here still had trucks but all there advertisements for sterling trucks were gone since about august..

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I never liked Sterling/Ford big trucks, I like Pete's and Kennys better.

6. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

The sterlings were good trucks! 95% of them in this area were tandems or triaxles. Very tough trucks! They were a no thrills truck that could get the job done.

7. Gravel Rat

It just has been annouced last month that Sterling was going to be no longer. I could see that coming because the kraut company is going broke. They affected B.C. when they took the Western Star plant out of Kelowna said it was cheaper to build them in Portland now they are moving it to mexico.

Ontario is really hurting just like the manufacturing states accross the boarder like Michigan etc. Major job losses in Ontario.

8. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

wow good thing i found this out i was going to my ford sterling dealer next week to look at a tandem dump i guess I'm not going any where now. That's why they were giving good prices on them

9. Gravel Rat

Your going to see some good deals on Sterlings plus the fact truck sales are down. Sterling is a vocational truck you don't see many people buying them for highway tractors.

10. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

My .02, no big loss. I will be sad I never got my Bullet but will find a way to survive. Why not kill off Western Star at the same time?(not meaning to offend any Western Star owners) There are lots of other options but none as a pretty Pete. Feel bad for the workers that are being canned though.