1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Steve's Place

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by steveiiturf, Nov 6, 2013.

Whats Holding You Back From Growing Your Business?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2013.
  1. Lack of Good Labor

3 vote(s)
  2. Not Enough Sales

5 vote(s)
  3. Cash Flow

4 vote(s)
  4. No Direction or Plan

1 vote(s)
  5. No Key Support Staff

2 vote(s)
  1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Don't put words in my mouth. Thats not what I meant. I get tired of these supposed business books that tell me nothing.

I don't need to be spoon fed so don't act like I said that.

2. steveiiturf

steveiiturf LawnSite Member

I use the H2-B program and have used it for over 10 years now. It is a great program but considering it is a government program there are always issues and the possibility of not getting your workers every year is a reality of being in the program. I have traveled to Washington D.C. many times in the past 10 years along with many other landscape company owners from all over the country to try to educate our politicians on the merits of this program. Thanks for the input.
  3. steveiiturf

I am definitely going to cover systems and hopefully I will have a link that will give my readers access to all kinds of things like job descriptions, organizational charts and other systems that you can use in your business. Thanks!
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Basically anything that helps get me off my knees laying brick and out selling more, building the business towards an autonomous machine that an owner can step away from for a day, week, month, and eventually sell or pass on.
  5. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Fair enough.... After re-reading my post there I realize I came off a bit harsh on what you said.... There is for sure a bunch of junk out there that people are trying to sell to make a buck... I just look at it like a kind of puzzle.... A little tidbit from this guy's book, a little tidbit from that guys seminar at GIE, and Wow, I am starting to put together a picture of which direction I want to head in.... But you are correct sir in calling me out and I apologize....
  6. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Nobody has been to "Steve's Place" in a little while..... How is the book coming?
  7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jersey

Hello Steve. I am looking to expand my knowledge and was not able to attend the PLANET GIC event, but have some free time available now. What else would you recommend. I am looking for landscape/lawn care education classes. I just finished attending the NJ Green Expo that dealt primarily with pesticide CEU classes, that I needed to keep up with new products and research & to maintain my NJ pesticide applicators license. I am considering going to CENTS and/or New England Grows. If anyone else is familiar with either of these shows or knows of others I appreciate your input also. I will probably go to MANTS, but they do not offer education classes there. I think there are some hardscaping shows that also have business education classes. I am looking to go in December, January, or March. The closer to New Jersey & Philadelphia the better, but if I have to fly & stay overnight that is not a problem.
  8. steveiiturf

Hi Armsden & Son, I just took a few weeks off with the holidays so I haven't kept up so much with posting here. The book is coming along and I am currently working on a chapter called "Hiring a Key Player" which discuses when, why and how to go about hiring someone who can be a key part of your business and take some things off your plate so as an owner you can focus more on helping grow the company. Thoughts??
  9. steveiiturf

Hi OQUEOQUE, sorry about the delayed response, took some time off for the holidays. I have been going to CENTS for 20 years now and there are always some good educational seminars & classes there. I would recommend checking out their web site here http://centsmarketplace.com/education-events/education-at-a-glance/ and you can download the education PDF to see whats offered. If you are planning to go I would recommend booking your hotel room ASAP as they were filling up two weeks ago when I booked mine. I also recommend staying for the two nights and doing as much networking as possible. I will be there and would be happy to meet with anyone who is interested to just talk shop and share ideas. Let me know.
  10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribing. Can't wait to get the book when it comes out. As many others said, the more info on system implementation the better.

As for the guy saying the books are "nothing but fluff", must not believe in the belief that Tony Bass describes as abundance not scarcity.