Steve's Place

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by steveiiturf, Nov 6, 2013.

Whats Holding You Back From Growing Your Business?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2013.
  1. Lack of Good Labor

3 vote(s)
  2. Not Enough Sales

5 vote(s)
  3. Cash Flow

4 vote(s)
  4. No Direction or Plan

1 vote(s)
  5. No Key Support Staff

2 vote(s)
  1. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

subscribed. Sound like it could be a good book.
  2. steveiiturf

steveiiturf LawnSite Member

Thanks for the subscribe's guys! I will try to post updates on my book here for people who subscribe. Kind of a sneak peek into what I will be writing about. In the meantime you can read my latest turf article here
  3. steveiiturf

Good points, Thanks!
  4. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that I went to your newest article I figured out who you were. I read just about every one of your articles in Turf, you definitely offer great insight! Especially for a young contractor such as myself.
  5. steveiiturf

Thanks JContracting I really appreciate the feedback on my column and I'm glad you like it.
  6. steveiiturf

As I mentioned before in this forum, I am currently working on a book geared toward the landscape company owner who is grossing $1 million or less in sales. So that is anyone from a start up to a bigger company trying to get to the first million in sales. I promised that I would post updates on my book so here is an excerpt from the introduction called "The Why"

First “The Why”

Why do you want to grow your company? You have to answer that question before you go any further in reading this book. Here are a few reasons as to why you should be thinking about growing your landscape business:

You want to make more money
    You want your employees to have an opportunity to advance in your company
    You want to build something of value because someday you may want to to sell your company
    Because growing is exciting and not growing leads to stagnation

There are many reasons that we want to grow our companies, but the bottom line is that you must have a reason because without a reason you will have no motivation and without motivation you will not grow. Period.

Think about your reason. What is your answer to “the why?”

I’ll share mine:

Because I enjoy the game of business and I enjoy working with really smart and driven people. I know that in order to have really smart and driven people working at my company I have to grow because really smart and driven people don't want to work somewhere that is not going to give them opportunity for growth within the company and personal development as well.

As for the game of business part, well lets just say that I like a challenge. I don't like complacency and I certainly don't want to watch my competition grow while I sit on the sidelines. I also truly believe that growth is good, and the more you grow the more you can fulfill not only your personal dreams and goals but you can help other people achieve theirs as well.

So there you have it, let me know your thoughts. I will post more updates in the future.
  7. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks so much for the tid bit from the book Steve! I really look forward to reading it as I really think you have a unique way of looking at and explaining things... Can I ask you a question? Why is your company named South West with you guys being in Ohio and everything?
  8. steveiiturf

Good question, when we started the company we were servicing the south west suburbs of Cleveland. Now of course our service area is a bit bigger. But the name stuck and it seems to work, even though some people think we are affiliated with Southwest Airlines!
  9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jersey

Do you get calls from people wanting to use their frequent flyer miles to purchase your services:laugh:?
  10. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting, I always like to know how company names came about... I personally always wanted to go with a more traditional family name route... I own Armsden Landscaping. However, It was a tough decision for me. I have a lot of respect and I also admire companies with names like yours. There is a company in my area with the name "Early Riser." I also like that one as well..

I was wondering if you could elaborate for some of us here on how you came to be a Landscape management company? Not sure if you are familiar with Earth, Turf, and Wood out of Pennsylvania? The owner Jarod has a very popular and well respected thread here on L.S. He is always talking about doing 1 thing and doing it really well and I noticed that you seem to subscribe to this particular business model as well. Is this deliberate? (I assume it is) Or, do you just not have as much experience in the other hardscaping/landscaping areas? I am a true "mowerhead" at heart and maintenance is what I have primarily done for the last 18 years so I believe that I cannot only do it well but also be innovative in my approach. However, last season I found myself doing almost everything! I was doing landscaping installs, some patios, and even a driveway!

I just feel like if people ask me to do these things and I refuse because I am a maintenance company, I will be leaving money on the table.... I know that you head a very reputable, profitable, and respectable business and you must have and still do deal with this issue..... What are your thoughts?