Sthil br600, Good not Great.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill8379, Apr 30, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a br600, used a few days now to do clean ups. It's powerful enough to blow thatch and so I like it but the choking it does when the tank is half full is very annoying. I did read about this problem before I bought it but I didn't think it would be that big an issue. It will happen 10-15 times at a single clean up.

If the tank is half full, the gas will bounce and around and the fuel line will suck air, then you get a drastic drop in rpms and I basically have to stand still for a couple seconds till it revs back up. I never had this problem with my home depot Echo back pack. I would say this is a significant flaw. Now I'm really mad I got screwed around trying to buy a Redmax 8001.

The engine also bounces around too much on the back. It's suspended by springs but I can feel it banging around back there. I also don't think it sits comfortably on the back but maybe thats the extra weight and I'm not used to it, but there is a sharp edge near your lower back.

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming you bought it from a Stihl dealer, I would return it - either to fix the problem OR money refunded. For a $500.00 piece of equipment, it should be the best!!! :usflag:

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So why didn't you tie a washer to the fuel filter to ensure it stays in the bottom or go get a heavy Echo fuel filter, Funny how people keep buying these in spite of the number of complaints on lawnsite:hammerhead:

4. bill8379

I've read 50 good things about the BR600 to every bad thing said about it.

5. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

Hi, I am a Stihl dealer. Take your unit back and ask them to place the fuel filter on the side opposite the filler cap. Most people tend to lean (slightly) to the right while using and this will ensure you use ALL the liquid gold inside the tank...

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm. Should of went with redmax. The ebz7001 is just as powerful as a br600. Also straight 2 cycle.

7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a question for you. I live in kenner louisiana and am very unhappy with both my stihl dealers. I have a fs85r and the head and shaft spin at idle off and on without the bell clutch sound. What's wrong with it? My dealer keeps saying it's fine but when I get it back and start using it, it keeps have the problem. Is there something I can fix or should the dealer open it up and fix it? Also he lied and said he would but didn't. The mechanic who I never get to talk to because he's conveniently gone when I get my trimmer said it's fine and ran it for 20 minutes. I don't think so. Any ideas on the problem?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Mine don't do that anymore, strange.
    So it's another of those things that's a little bit like riding a horse.

9. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

Crank her up, warm up, adjusting Very bottom screw (on most carbs wt some zama) clockwise gives more idle so you want to go counterclockwise in small increments until the head stops turning. Many older units may have some throttle shaft play at the carb forcing the mechanic to idle the unit up just to make it run and I have a sneaking suspision...

btw, the other to screws are air mixes, with the closest to the engine being the idle. Being that these work in tandem, (not to mention you might adjust it to lean) I would advise leaving these 2 alone unless your experienced with 2 strokes...

other than that a clutch spring could be broken but that is usually pretty obvious.

10. bill8379

Hey thanks for that suggestion, I'm going to see if I can push it over myself.

Since you're a dealer I have one more question. I bought the curved piece to attach to the wind pipe and it works really well except I can't use it because it causes way to much torque on my arm. With the straight wind pipe there is almost no resistance against my arm but that curved piece practically rips my bicep off after only ten minutes.

So I was thinking I must be doing something wrong. I have about a 24 inch tube section attached to the part with the hand trigger, then I attached the curved tube (about 14 inches) onto the end of that. It looks pretty long, I thought maybe that was the problem like a breaker bar, you know the Farther out it is the more torque. But that is the way it is pictured in the manual.

I was going to try it without that first 24inch section but I can't get it off, but I think that would make it too short. I guess I will go back to the straight nozzle.

I was just wondering if I had that set up right.