Sthil chainsaw Which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbiaplower, Sep 2, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i had a farm boss and it fell out of a tree hit a large river rock and all the chunks of it fell into the fast moving river. So i need a new one. i use it for some trimming but mostly for storm cleanup and clearing brush. what do u all use? what is a all around good one for a landscaper?
    thanks nick

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 021 with a 16" bar not much on cuting down trees in a hurry but it'll handel samll jobs, but in your case a fram boss to a 021 is like going from a mustang to an pinto

3. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Go with at least an 036, small enough to use in the tree if needed(very carefully)on the ground it's awesome, plenty of power to pull up to a 24" chain if you want , i use mine with an 18" bar, works good.Anything under that is a toy except for the 020t which is not a ground saw.

4. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I just bought a 018C (I think thats the number). I see that your heading in the right direction--your buying a stihl.

As far as which one to get, I can't be of much help. We don't use a chainsaw much at all, mostly for trimming and cutting suckers off trees. Thats why I wanted a small saw.

The 036 looks like a good saw if you use a chainsaw much...

Eric

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a 026 and an 039. Both great machines. Something like an 029 would also be an exellent choice. Check ebay, there's lots of Stihl goodies for sale there!

6. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 029. That is the same saw that they call the farm boss. Nice saw, with a hoss of an engine. Would not buy much bigger than that unless you are gonna be a logger.

7. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Don't buy a Stihl, buy a Dolmar much better built saw!

8. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

036 pro stihl is the best saw for the money ..lots of power with an 18 in bar

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Whichever you buy, go to Baileys or Leonards and pick up a breakaway lanyard for it. Coiled like a phone cord. It will attach to your belt and the saw and keep it from falling away if you drop it but if it snags a falling branch it will pull away so you dont get dragged out of the tree-I believe 200 lbs breakaway force, which is good for a 15 lb saw dropping 5 feet.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for trimming I use an 009. it's a pup. for the big stuff I use an 029. it's a really nice saw.

GEO