Sthil edger problems.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Feb 13, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: I just bought a sthil 100 edger from my local dealer. I get it home and try to test it out on my buddy's lawn because he hasn't had his lawn edged in over a year, I want to see how much power I was dealing with. I cranked it up to full throttle and attempted to edge the lawn but my blade stopped in its tracks. The sad part about this is his lawn doesn't even have a strong root system, it full of weeds. To make matter even worst, because it was so hard to edge I ended up butchering the edge on his lawn. Now I know Sthil doesn't make junk but I thought this piece of equipment would be a bit more powerful then that.

I was talking with another LCO and he told me that they can be adjusted to get more power.

Does anyone know anything about that?

Is there some sort of technique to use when edging lawns with and overgrown edge?

Or did I just make a mistake by buying this trimmer?

Let me know something because the growing season is fastly approaching and I would hate to have this same experience with a paying customer.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

On an owergrown edge I use a more powerful walkbehind edger. I have cut in a new edge with a Stihl fs85 but it wasnt easy. Maybe with some more practice it will get somewhat easier. If the ground is very dry its harder to edge also. Alot of times if a walk has never been edged or hasnt been maintained in a long time its going to look bad until it has a chance to grow back some and be edged a few times. This is why I have always said that a wheel edger and a stick edger are both needed. Atleast in my trials they have been

wayne

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm a little confused what exactly did you buy and edger or a trimmer?

Rob

4. clallen03

I purchased an edger. I was wrong about the Sthil 100, its a Sthil fc85 stick edger.

5. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

What can you really do about the dirt edges though. It seems to me that 1 out of 3 lawns the grass edge is too high compared to the sidewalk. So I edge and then clean-up the scraps and about 1 inch of dirt or thatch is exposed. that's not the look I was going for???? what can I do./

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I think I know your problem but you actually have 2 #1 is that the edger you bought is not made to go through an overgrown edge. #2 is the overgrown edge itself. If you had opted to buy an FC110 you could have gone through the overgrown edge it would have taken some time but you would have been able to do it.

Rob

7. grass_cuttin_fool

I feel as though the FC85 is strong enough, but its just going to take a few times of edging and letting it grow back some to get in good shape. Its kind of like letting a yard get knee high and just cutting it down and expecting it to look like a golf course, its not gonna happen. Its going to take some tender loving care and time to get it in shape

wayne

8. clallen03

Now that we have come to the realization that I made the wrong purchase, were do I go from here?

Is there any way to adjust it to make it have more power?

What do you recommend I do to get the job done properly?

9. clallen03

OK.....grass cutting fool, that is what I have been wanting to hear. I was hoping that this wasn't going to be a purchase that I would regret. My buddy talks about me every chance he gets because its winter and his damn edge wont grow back until the grass starts growing. I have to live with it until Im able to redeem myself. He says I should pay him for the way his edge looks.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

Also if its a new trimmer, its going to take a few tanks of fuel for the engine to get to get broke in and be at full power

wayne