STHIL FS 250 vs Shin T 350 or Big Redmax ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jun 11, 2006.

1. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I always used the old SHindiawa T 270 weedeaters but hey no longer make them as well so I switched to the T 350 and then bought a 40cc Redmax.

I found the big Shin and Redmax weedeaters were way faster than the T 270 for heavy cutting but way to heavy.

I noticed the Sthil FS 250 bousts a big 40cc motor and is way lighter than the Shin or the Redmax but how well do they work in comparison? I bought a Kawasaki KBL34 and took it back because of lack of power is the FS 250 as powerful as the T350 or big redmax? I know thw Sthil is not as tough it is to light but other than that is it a real brute? THANKS!

2. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

All I know is that the stihl is weighed without the head, debris guard or handle so, on paper it is lighter than other brands but I think that is probably pretty close to the same weight. I know that the FS 250 is usually advertised at about 13lbs. as where other 40cc trimmers are around 16lbs. I think that the head, debris guard and handle probably amounts to close to thee pounds. Just my $.02

3. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

They are alot lighter I have picked them up.

4. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I have absolutely no experience with the other brands, but I can tell you that the FS250 is one hell of a machine. I've run a lot of different trimmers in my time, and I like my 250s best by far.

I bought one last season and like it so much I bought another one this season. Neither one has skipped a beat...both start excellently, have gobs of power, and are low vibration.

It's honestly hard for most guys to be as productive with a smaller trimmer.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious, what are you guys cutting with these monsters? Couldn't you use a blade and be just as well off or better because of lighter weight on a smaller machine? Dang, I'm not going to walk around swinging one of those monsters. I'd get a Peco if my Robin with a blade wouldn't do it!

6. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

That is why I think I should get some,Thanks.

7. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I wont use a smaller trimmer to slow, I am mowing grass. Once you learn how to use a bigger trimmer you can run through anything. i use the real big ones for cleanups and 2 week old grass the T 270 is for everyweek.

I keep a few Echo 260's around for the ladies however.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Well, if you're going to mow with a trimmer, and 2 week old grass at that, I guess you need a big one.

9. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

You would know better than me.:waving: