Sthil FS90

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blake101, Jun 4, 2011.

1. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay Hard to start and will sometimes die at idle, do I need to adjust the valves, or look at the carb?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Try adjusting the idle screw up a little bit. It probably has vibrated of its original setting to too low a speed.
    Just follow the owners manual instructions, or go online to Stihl and check them there.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

When the same thing happens to my 110's and 90's I adjust the valves and change the air filters.

4. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the air filter too. A lot of the time if I change the air filter it does wonders. Especially in this drought down here.

5. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

Check air filter. Have you been using a good synthetic oil like Stihl "Ultra"? If not, check the muffler & screen. You may want to look at the exhaust valve to see if it's excessively carbon-ed. Check spark gap, check valve clearance ( but this does not have to be done often). when it is running & you depress the throttle does it hesitate or respond quick? if it hesitates you may want to check the low speed needle & lean slightly. If it is excessively humid & the carb was adjusted in winter dry conditions this could be the case, though i doubt it.

6. blake101

Thanks for the information. It does hesitate a little, I will try the low speed needle.

7. blake101

Okay Cranks great. When it is cold the throttle responds quick, but as soon as it warms up it will hesitate. Does any body have any solutions. I did adjust my valves and changed air filter and new spark plug. It just takes to long to rev-up.

8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

check the muffler and make sure its not clogged at the end, take the screen out and check it.. may be an issue with a magnito clearance. maybe.. its pretty rare for that to happen on 2 strokes.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you adjust the low speed needle? I assume you have one? If it starts good and accelerates after starting then you got enough gas. If it bogs after it warms up then shut down the low needle a little bit. I doubt that you have both a low and high needle......that is the advantage of units with those so you can tune for weather conditions.

10. finneylawns

finneylawns LawnSite Member

Check out this post.

I posted this about my issues starting my weedeater and edger.

I currently have them at my local Stihl dealer for service, being that they are under warranty. I will post their finding hopefully on Monday.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=353814