Sthil MS290 unusual bar?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jim2008, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Jim2008

Jim2008 LawnSite Member
    from GA

My 5 yr old MS290 Sthil has 18 inch bar with end sprocket. Chain uses 74 teeth, .375 and .063 spacing.

Questions:
    - Any one know an internet source for new 18 inch Sthil bar? Any source for new drive sprocket? Don't want used Ebay stuff.
    - Did find Forrester brand that might work but not sure of quality. Comments anyone?
    Thanks, Jim

2. lawnmon

lawnmon LawnSite Member

First, you can't buy new Stihl equipment over the internet. That leaves you with other brands such as GB, Oregon and Forrester. They all make good bars in different levels of quality. If you're not a pro (most props don't use 290s) then all the bars from the three brands mentioned above should work well.

Now, eBay is OK if you use a dealer with good feedback. I've used and can vouch for the following:
    cbaileybg,
    cheapstihlparts,
    thechainsawguy, and
    twistedtrucker.

Now, there are two web retailers that give good service over the phone and can help you if needed,
    Amicks in Asheboro, North Carolina, and
    Baileys in Laytonville, California.

Baileys also has a warehouse in Tennessee.

Any of the places I mentioned should fix you up at a decent price.

Hope this helped,

Jack

3. Jim2008

Jim2008 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Thank you Jack, sure did help.
    Bye, Jim

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

jack is pretty much spot-on with his advice.

http://www.baileysonline.com/ -----this bailey's, not to be confused with the one that jack mentioned from ebay, is very well known in the saw world and has very good prices and service. oregon chain and bars are fine for you. if you are fairly confident in your saw-handling abilites, you can go with a non-safety chain which will cut more aggressively.
    i don't think that you have an 18" bar if you have 74dl's. i think have a 20". your chain is a 3/8" (.375) and .058 gauge. 3/8"s of an inch bw drive links and .050" groove in the bar. you can change to a .050 gauge when you change your bar. you will need a .50 gauge chain, but you should change this when you change bars, anyway. you will have more choices with the .050 gauge chain.

5. Jim2008

Jim2008 LawnSite Member
    from GA

howdy and thanks for assistance. Yes that is why I thought bar was not normal, it is 18 inch, 74 link, .063 and .325 spacing. What I might do next time around is drop the sprocket to the 67 link and go with the .375 18 inch bar you mentioned. Chains can be bought at Lowes for it then.
    Jim

6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

no need to change the sprocket. what ever tooth count came on the saw is adequate. you have the choice of a hardnose bar or a roller tip. the roller is re-buildable, but that is usually not something a HO will do. the hardnose has slightly more parasitic loss, but is also cheaper. you can't go wrong with either Oregon or Stihl B+C.

7. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

where in georgia? suwanee here! proud ms290 and 180 c owner

8. Jim2008

Jim2008 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Hi Josh,
    Meant to answer sooner but got side tracked. Located in Cumming, GA so we are neighbors. Got a new bar and it solved the pblm so all is well now with the 290 which is a really capable chain saw.

Jim

9. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

hi. That's cool. Where in cumming? My parents live off browns bridge road.

Do u know of any places I can get my chains sharpened quickly up there?