"Sthil Saws" MS260 OR MS361

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Daner, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Well my ole Husky is done and not worth fixen this time. I,m leaning towards the new Stihl chain saws. I do cut some firewood and the odd good size tree ,but also use it for tops of cedar fence posts...I,m wondering If the 260 will do the job?.
  2. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend the 250 or 290, even the 270 or 280. The 260 is overpriced junk IMO. I've got one and that's how I know.
  3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the feed back
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

ms 440 is the best stihl perfect size i love it just my opinion
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

MS361 is a great saw. I have one and it really cuts some wood. It must be the peppiest saw I have ever used, lots of power, good amount of torque and the anti vibe is excellent.
  6. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

It is a great saw, I love mine to death. The only thing however is that it is a $700 or $800 saw (I forget) whereas the 260 or 361 is about $500. The 250 / 270 / 280 / 290 should all be 400 or there abouts.
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Danner, Go with an MS260 PRO & you won't be sorry.

8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I just saw a heck of a deal!! Think Im all over this one guys!! A Stihl MS 310...used 5 times...for 250 bucks. Mint Condition!!
  9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The MS260 will pull a 16" bar great and it can pull a 20" but, that's pushing it if your cutting hardwoods. The difference between the 260 and 260 PRO is the PRO model has a decompression valve (don't know why on that size saw) and an adjustable oiler. Otherwise they are the same. The 260 is a great saw and very reliable. I have two and i'm very happy with them.

If the majority of your cuts are over 16" I would go with the MS361. The anti vibe on this saw is spectacular. I really like the new engine this saw has. The power band is broad and it really screams at the top end. 20" hardwoods are no problem for this saw. The 361 is also about a pound lighter than the MS310.

If money is a concern and this isn't going to be a "hard use" saw, I would go with the MS250. The power and weight are about the same as the MS260.