Sthil Trimmer problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hobbes, Jun 27, 2001.

1. hobbes

hobbes Banned

New Sthil FS85 cuts out frquently after warm starts. Pushing it to full throttle will sometimes keep it going, but it will soon cut out again. This usually occurs once or twice after a warm start & then the trimmer runs fine. Tried carb adjusts, spark arrest screen, fuel filter, plugs. I've had minor starting problems with our other 76 & 85's but nothing like this. Of course it works fine when I take it to dealer. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The carbs on the stihls are very touchy. I've had a few problems over the last year with them. The dealer puts a new carb on under warrenty and the problem is solved.

3. hobbes

hobbes Banned

65hoss,
    What problems did you have that the dealer replaced the carb for you. I've had it to the dealer twice and the damm thing runs fine for him. Did you experience hard starting on your Sthil? All 3 Sthil's we run seem to have a touchy carb. This new one is much worse. I'll be switching to Echo's next season.

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had the same thing happen to my fs85. I thought it was the fuel pickup, had it lengthened, then shortened, then the problem disappeared after 6 months . go figure. Dave g

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hobbes
    I have a FS85 as well. This is only it's first season and I have never had any problems with it.
    I am just wondering if your problem was resolved.
    If so, how?
    Thanks

6. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Try a Robin. I"ve been playing with Robins now four 4 years.

Never, never have had any trouble with a Robin product

7. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I bought a FS80 and a FC85 at the same time. The engines are identical. The FC85 is running after no more than two pulls, but the FS80 takes forever to start in comparison. I've taken it back to the dealer and of course it starts immediately there. Drives me crazy! I figure as long as it finally starts running why mess with it.

8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Hobbes,

I had the same problem with a Stihl FS85 I bought in April. It cut out when it was cold and never seemed to be operating at full power. The dealer flushed the fuel system out for me and then advised me to use a little less oil in my fuel mixture. This helped a bit but not much. Subsequently, I sold the Stihl and purchased a Honda trimmer. An excellent piece of equipment. You should try it out.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The problems I had was that if you were trying to edge with the trimmer it would lose power and eventually die. Crank it back up and it would do the same thing again. It would have a hard time running at full rpm's. The dealer put a pressure check on it and found the problem. Basically, it was acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have one too. I've never had a new one that was hard to start but this one is a PITA. Bogs for a while and then finally runs right. I haven't had a chance to take it back but I will soon.