sthil trimmer wont open up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Aug 24, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a sthil fs 80 and it refuses to open to full throttle idles fine but wont open to full throttle it sputters and then dies i cleaned carb real good and took out spar arrestor whats wrong
    and i purchased a echo SRM 210sb the multi tool one in june and the carb is already shot dealer said its under warrenty though:rolleyes:
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

take the muffler off and check the exaust port. If there is any carbon clean it out...if not check fuel filter...could be restricting fuel flow...if still not fixed then the high speed mixture screw is out of adjustment or carb has a ruptured diaphram.
    If you are still having problems then take it to an expert.
    Let me know how you make out.
  3. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my stihl trimmer. I had to replace the ignition module.
  4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You have a bad carb. You are not alone with this problem. Stihls are very weak in this area. I think they cut corners. I have had three Stihl power tools and all three have had to have the carbs replaced.

You will be told to check the fuel filter to see if it's plugged. You will be told that you put the wrong gas in it, or the carb got varnished. You will be told many things, but in the end the only thing that will solve your problem is a new carb.

I recommend (to everyone) that you simply switch brands. I have gone to Kawasakis and Husqvarnas and am much more satisfied with their dependablity and lighter weight. Stihl quality is definity not what it used to be in years past.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Likestomow, I'm with you on the Kawasaki's. I have a Kawi atv and a Kawi dirtbike. They both start easily, run hard, and are the most dependable engines I have. My JD blower's engine is a Kawi and it performs the same, and so does the 25 hp z-twin in the ZTR. Also, I lot of people don't know it but consumer products and commercial engines is a small division of what Kawasaki really does. They are a huge manufacturer of industrial equipment. They seem to put the same technology into the products you and I buy and it shows. Very happy with all my Kawasaki stuff.