Sthil Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyslawn, May 19, 2003.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

It runs great, after it starts. It is hard to start especially the first time each day. 2 years old, no spark arrestor and muffler is clean. ??? Thanks.

2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

The hard to start phenomenon is a Stihl trademark.

3. atwoodsz

atwoodsz LawnSite Member

Full Choke Full Throttle till you get a near fire. Then No Choke Full Throttle and it should fire on the 4th pull. Same thing with all the echo's

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't tell that to my Stihls, they start up quickly every time. Including a 1984 Stihl 028 chain saw, bought new. FS 85 trimmer, third pull. Hedge trimmer, same. You folks that have trouble starting them, what are you doing? I do it the same as atwoodsz. I've always Stihl oil for my Stihls, Lawnboy oil for my Lawnboy, and think it is worth a little bit more to do this.

Crawdad

5. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I found the answer. Mine usually start easy too. This one runs great after it starts. Problem=70lbs.compression. It needs rings. Thanks.

6. pzorrill

pzorrill LawnSite Member
    from miami

Funny thing. For me, the more frequently I use my Stihl equipment, the better it starts. From the blowers to my trimmers it's all the same. I don't mind though because I know they WILL start. I can't say the same for my shindaiwa trimmer.

7. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Your a good man Crawdad, pzorrill stihl will put more R&D into a choke knob than shindawa does on a whole unit. :D

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just got an FS85 and it is awsome.. Just need to follow Stihls starting procedure and on the 3rd pull starts right up in the morning and then first or second once its' going.. You have to put the throttle into the start position, and in choke and give it a pull maybe two .. then off the choke and pull and vrooooom then release the start and your good to go.....