STHIL Trimmers any good ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MORETORQUE, Jun 18, 2005.

1. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

I am searching for a big kick butt weedeater, Stihl makes them as big as 55 cc - BIG. I hear the new Stihl stuff is poor quality compared to the old stuff they used to make and only last about one full season of hard use, is this true ?

2. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

Not true. I've been using their trimmers and other pieces of equipment for two seasons and still going strong. Not a hiccup.

Like any tool, take care of it. Weekly maintenance, keep filters cleaned, blah blah blah.

RSW

3. MORETORQUE

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

I hear the materials used in the manufacturing of them are poor quality. I have had several outfits tell me who have been in the business for 20 years and do massive commercial accounts say the quality has slipped quit a bit. Do they hold up close to my old Shindaiwa stuff?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The only real problem I have with my Stihl FS 80R trimmer is it burns the dickens out of my arm. I hold my trimmer "left handed" despite the fact that I am right handed. A lot of really hot air blows out of the opening in the engine cover for the sparkplug opening and it blows right on my arm.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Stihls IMO, are rugged, but a little bulky for me. I'd prefer to run a Shindaiwa all day, just more comfortable.

6. Tombigbee

Tombigbee LawnSite Member

I've had very good luck with Stihl.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

IMPORTANT: Don't forget to buy a tube of stihl grease and keep the head lubed !

8. 2Sam2233

2Sam2233 LawnSite Member

Hey, I run between 50 and 60 accts. I use to use nothing but Stihl. The last couple of pieces I purchased just weren't the same. They will not run consistently, always adjusting on them and they don't run smoothly. I have since gone to all Shindaiwa. Them and Echo (which is also great products) use a different type carburation system which requires NO adjustments. All you have to do is use a mid grade(89 octane) fuel, do regular maintenance and they WILL perform. Hope this helps.

Mike
    Sun & Shade Landscaping

(Heart of Dixie)

9. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Not even two years old, and the edger needed a new carb. Tried a Redmax edger, while the stilh was being worked on nice power and cuts a very deep edge..................................Real sharp.............................

10. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I use only Stihl trimmers. Over 2 years now and stihl (still) going strong. But I also have a problem with burning my arm with the heat from the engine so I cut the tops off a pair of socks, slip the sock top over my arm at just below the elbow and no more burning my arm.