Sthil vs. Echo Revisited

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LushGreenLawn, Jul 5, 2006.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Guys

I know there have been several threads on this topic, but I would like to hear from people who have owned both Echo and Sthil products, which you think is better and why.

One thing that I am very picky about is replacing trimmer string, which one is easier to replace. Also, how many lawns do you typically get out of a good trimmer, I have had an echo srm-2100 for 7 years, and it is about worn out, but only the first two of those were commercial. I have mabye between 800 and 1000 lawns on mine

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There both top of the line equipment. We use Echo equipment exclusivly. When I first started I used only Sthil equipment and while a trimmer was in for work I borowed a Echo and liked them right away. After that I began to sell off my Sthil stuff and replaciing it with Echo. Even my chain saws (not saying they dont make a good saw).

Its all in what you like. A Echo to someone who doesnt like it is junk and visa versa. Ive seen old Sthil's and old Echos still working today so I dont think one is a better tool then the other.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I find between the two it is like having a half dozen of one or six of the other, take your pick.

If you really want to get technical, I like the Stihl in action because it balances a lot better, I just can not fly (fly meaning acrobatics) the Echo the way I do the Stihl. But on the comfort factor, the Stihl's handle blows so I purchased an extra Echo D-handle and replaced the one on my stihl so now I have a stihl trimmer with an echo handle.

Powerwise, the Stihl appears to have more raw power while the Echo seems to have more torque. So while the Stihl gets into it easier, the echo lasts longer. This longevity factor also appears to translate into actual years of use, but then it is nice to get the work done fast on the one hand, or nice and steady as she goes on the other, both methods have their merits and are highly competitive either way.

As for the string, the echo takes one long piece while for the Stihl I have to cut it in two. But the stihl has small tabs that hold the element in place while I slip the cover on while the echo is a bit more pita here.

I would say if you're concerned about your investment and you need something to last you a longer time, then get the echo. But if you want something that will give you BANG for the buck, then get the stihl. Again, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Echo was all 2 cycle and Stihl was the 4 mix. I felt the Stihl had more power yet the Echo was easier to flip around and use upside down. The guys would grab the Echo 1st-- After 2 years I take all off truck and replace but they still worked. The employees did more damage to the equipment than use did!

5. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

I personally use ECHO myself. A friend of mine had purchased a STIHL and then an ECHO to use as a backup. Well, the STIHL has now become the backup as he liked the performance of the ECHO. He recently purchased a SHINDAWIA which I got to try out for a few seconds yesterday. The biggest thing I noticed was how much lighter it was than by SRM261T and the shaft seemed a lot shorter. The SHINDAWIA also seemed cheaply constructed.

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

As for the string, the echo takes one long piece while for the Stihl I have to cut it in two. But the stihl has small tabs that hold the element in place while I slip the cover on while the echo is a bit more pita here.

On the Stihl head just drill a hole a little larger than your string in the plastic piece that seperates the top from the bottom line. When you rewind with new string just slip one end thru the hole and make both ends even and rewind both sides at once or do one side then the other so you don't have to make that extra cut, plus it is easier and faster.

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer the Echo trimmer head, its quite simple, the stock Stihl autocut head, well umm lets just say its CRAP to me. the Echo head is simple, the motor quiet and powerful, plus its light as a feather, and the handles are foam covered which reduces vibration to me. the stihl has rubber coated handles that are very thin rubber, they're loud, and I didnt care for the Stihl much.

8. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

My ECHO blower always starts on the third pull....well....in the manual it does.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have both brands and have settled in on the Echo261T which has a lot of torque. Now relative to your "picky" thing you can get one of those new Shindawa heads and put it on echo. They are very very easy to load and are holding up on testing that I am conducting. You don't have to take anything apart to load.

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

after using both products, i really dis-like the sthil. it gets too hot, too quickly, the spark plug is in a bad place and they are harder to pull the starter. the echo on the other hand, if lighter, more powerful, and is b\very confortable to use, it doesn't vibrate like the sthil does.

so my preference is definately ECHO.