Sthil

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dekalb lawn man, Jan 6, 2007.

1. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good weekend.I was wondering what the big difference is between the Sthil products at Lowes and the Sthil products at a dealership is, besides price. I know there is a big difference between residential and commercial but I believe that Lowes carries the pro line as well I think.

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, wont find any Stihl products at home depot or lowes. They havent sold their soul to the devil yet.

Isnt one of Stihls catch phrases "the biggest selling chainsaw manufacturer not available at a home store" or something to that effect....

3. AMS lawns

AMS lawns LawnSite Member

stihl are a great product ,all my equipment is stihl .always check to see where the motors are made when you buy

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

justanother ... You are right, on both counts. The ad at first glance implies that Stihl is available at Lowes, but your wording is right, "... NOT available ...." I've alway found that advertising strategy to be unique, and wonder if they find it to be successful.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Any good commercial product for Lawn care be it mowers, blowers, trimmers, or whatever are not going to be found at Lowes, Menards, or other dept stores. They sell to the do it yourselfers of the world. They also do not service what they sell the just take it back and pretend to fix whats wrong and sell it to someone else. Buy from a reputable dealer who sells commercial equipment and services what they sell. You will be alot happier in the end.

6. GardenDoorNW

GardenDoorNW LawnSite Member

In my other job I am a buyer for a sister company of a "Box Store"
    Stihl dropped us and a lot of the box stores because they will only let dealers who service their products on the premises sell their products.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is why no Stihl products are available online or via catalog.

Stihl also, as a general rule, will not issue a parts book to customers. I registered a complaint to Stihl about this point, and they responded with an answer that goes something like this, "... at one time we gave customers our parts books, ... they used the books to order the wrong parts, .... the wrong parts were used, ... a problem developed, .... customer sued us for wrong parts and damages caused by wrong part, ... decision was made to keep parts books only for dealers doing repair work, ..."

Stihl seems to be about the only manufacturer who has taken a stong stance on some of these points. And, apparently, are successful in executing their policy.

8. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

Im sorry I just went back to lowes and noticed it husquvarna not sthil that they carry. How are the husq equip

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Crap...like anything else Lowes sells. Buy from a dealer...if they dont sell it...its crap

10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

When Lowes changes their lineup, you can't get basic parts and consumables for what you bought in the recent past.

As an example, I bought a Cub Cadet cc3000 trimmer that is not a bad unit (I bought it mainly for the reach, it is 2" longer than any trimmer I've seen) but when Lowes dropped the Cub trimmer line you could no longer get spools for it. Now they have the spools again but they are over 30 bucks. The spools come pre-packed with "welded" two wire line, and I've never been able to find the line in bulk. When the spools were ten bucks, I didn't mind, but no way thirty bucks. I'm going to put a blade on it.

I have 2 Stihl FS80's and an FC75 edger and they have been great units.

Really, a good dealer is indispensable. And just like us, they are looking for good customers.