Stick Control Question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, May 8, 2002.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

This is probably nothing, but I have a new Lazer 25/60 that I am still demoing at home. I finally mowed with it a few days ago, and loved it, great cut, stripes, etc. However, when I go to place the sticks in neutral, the left side is much stiffer, and more relunctant to go into neutral. Also while turning, is it normal to hear "hydro noise"? One final question - when shutting the Kohler 25 off after mowing, it shutters and attempts to "restart" before finally quitting. Hope this makes sense to you. Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Kevin,

All the items you mentioned are common but not all are "normal".

First the stick will do that, especially on a new machine sometimes. There is an adjustment to the tension that is fairly straight forward but difficult to get at. The tension on the drive lever when you swing them side to side is set by loosening or tightening two bolts for each stick. The sticks are "sandwiched" between two plates and the bolts determine how tight the "sandwich" is. You can see the two bolts if you look down the drive stick and into the console near the pivot point. Often on a new machine these will loosen up at first. I'm not sure why but I think it has something to do with the plating of these components. Sometimes the plating gets a quick polish from use and other times it doesn't. Each one can be a little different because of the plating process and the hardness of the plating. Also if there is a small burr on the plated surface when it is initially set the burr can become dislodged later loosening up the tension on one side or another.

The "whine" your hearing is also common on a new machine. This is normally caused by air in the hydros. As you run it the air should purge itself and the hydros will usually quiet down. So the best way to fix this is go have some fun and practice on your new Lazer. There can however be some continued noise, especially at lower engine speeds.

The problem your seeing when shutting the engine down is common on the 25 Kohler. I'm guessing your shutting it off at Idler? If so try shutting it off at 1/2 throttle and you should see this problem diminish if not cease all together.

Thanks

Terry

3. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Terry,

Thanks for the response, so am I correct in assuming that these are problems I shouldn't worry about? Or should I contact the dealer to adjust? My dealer is 2 hours away, so it would be inconvenient for both of us.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Kevin,

Don't worry about it. Instead of spending 2 hours driving spend 5 minutes on the telephone 5 minutes adjusting the sticks and the other hour and fifty minutes showing off to your neighbors, or watching a ball game.

The hydros will work themselves out, the Kohler engine is doing what they all do and if you call me at 800-667-5296 I'll walk you through the drive stick fix. Even that is an inconvenience and won't effect the performance. You just decide which side you like the feel of the best and you'll be able to adjust them to match.

I prefer a little too stiff rather than too loose for beginners.

Thanks

Terry