stick edger blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

yeah i've never had a stick edger before now, but I just recently bought a stihl fc85 and im pleased with it, although I cant run it to it's full potential because I gotta break the engine in. Anyways, when I bought it, the blade was all squared off, I didnt know if i should sharpen it or what, and sharpen all 3 sides of the top and bottom?call me dumb haha

-clint

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

The only maint. to do to an edger blade is to replace it when it gets to short to make a decent cut .they work the best when they're new and flat.

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

There are different types of blades for the stick edger. Don't waste your time trying to sharpen them. I use the squared off kind that have no edge. Whatever you want to use they are very cheap. I think around 2 for a buck or so.

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it should be squared off.

You may want to experiment with blades. I have a Stihl FC 85 also and started using the star blades midway through last season. I like the star blades a little better than the regular blades. I got mine at http://www.j-thomas.com

5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

How much longer does the star blade last compared to the rectangle blade?

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

The regular ones were lasting me about one to one and a half weeks. The star blade lasted me well over a month.

I found it cut better in areas that hadn't been edged in a while. (New accounts, etc.)

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Lesco also sells these. The arbor size on most stick edgers is one inch. Home Depot sells them for four dollars a blade- ouch!