Stick edger blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Feb 28, 2007.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any benefit to using a star blade compared to a standard blade on a stick edger
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the star shaped blade is really good for heavy edging (spring growth or yards that TGCL fertilize) where the standard blade is good for weekly use.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought about em but the price was a little high, for the 9 inch strait blades 99 cents.
  4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

We use the star blades,I think you get a crisper cut,especially if the edge is a little farther back then normal. You don't get the flip flop effect if you know what I mean.:waving:
  5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

went ahead and ordered one to try today as they didnt have any in stock Thanks for the replys
  6. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i'd go w/ the star if you can, it will definately last longer and it holds a sharp tip better, with the curved blades as it wears down it stays sharp, whereas the straight blades get a dull curve to them as they wear.

i used to work for a company in michigan that i would edge 1.5 miles straight one day, and two of us would edge some government houseing that had 7 miles of edging. after the 1.5 mile i had plenty of blade left, and after my portion of the 7 miles i'd usually have maybe another day of edging left on the blade.