Stick edger need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Aug 9, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

What stick edger would be good to get for first time edging and normal use? I was looking at the stihl fc110 or some of the redmaxs. Is the straight shaft a must and are these definitely worth it over the walk behind edgers? Need lots of advice on what to get. Thanks

2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Our crew uses stick edgers exclusively (Stihl KM110 which are also used for shearing on tall hedges). Our service includes hard edging all beds and walkways. Once you get the hang of it, you can edge as fast as you can walk. Fast, efficient, and an awesome look.

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's the split system w/ attachments. The fc is a little different because you have to change the gearbox with a allen wrench for different attachments.

4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Fc-110 very powerful and the straight shaft is a must!!! It has a solid steel drive shaft instead od a flex cable.

5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

You'll still need a walk behind for those way overgrown walks. Stick edgers are great at light duty edging but don't quite have the guts for thick grass and dirt. I just have a stick edger for now but have wished I had a good McClain a couple of times.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have and use both, (walkbehind and Stihl) The stihl is very powerful, but the walkbehind is easier if you have alot to do 500-1000 feet at a time. But Def go with the straight shaft and the fc model where you can change the gear box. That way you might can add a hedge trimmer, tiller, brush to it and expand your services sometimes

wayne

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Not if you buy an FC110. I'd say that you could easily cut through 4" of overgrown turf.

Rob

8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I've not used our walkbehind in years. Our KM110 has plenty of torque to cut through overgrown sidewalks.

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i was amazed at the ba*** mine has. after using it, it would have to be some insanely thick stuff to make me drag out the walk behind again.

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I am going to try out a Redmax straight shaft this w/e, it sounds nice and seems to have good power. But we will see once I get it in the ground.