Stick Edger or Edgit on the trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

What are your thoughts on using the Edgit rather than a stick edger?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Good question, probably could find a few things about this on a search (search "edgit"). If I remember right they cost almost as much as a Echo Pro Edge attachment for my split boom. I already have another dedicated trimmer so will probably get the s/b attachment because in my opinion it would probably make the initial edge easier than the string would although I like that the Edgit is a one step process that would probably save time on established edges.
    Eric

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Edgit, best on an Echo trimmer. Do a search for my comments on it.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I, and every decent LCO in my area, use edgits on our trimmers. They work wonders and are worth their price, IMO.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind the fact that if you get a new account that hasn't had the edging done in a few years. That's gonna be kinda tough with just and edgit. Get both, the edgit isn't too much and figure on buying the edger anyway.

6. Not even a choice here.
    With a edgit you are still edging with a string line.With a stick edger you are edging with a steel blade.This topic has been beat to death the past few weeks.Plus warranty is another subject here.try bringing in your trimmer to your dealer with the edgit on it.It voids the warranty.That is a steep price to pay

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Couldn't you just take it off and put the original guard back on?

8. Yes you can take it off. But why even go there.Breakdowns and time in this business is what makes us or break us.Plus it will beat the crap out of your clutch

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

My trimmers last ALMOST as long with an edgit attached as without. The string is going to be a little longer with the edgit attached, compared to using a stock guard, therefore it will wear the trimmer a bit more.

Who cares about a warranty on a quality trimmer? They are inexpensive, and always built well. I've never needed warranty service on any of my trimmers, including the ones with an edgit attached :) .

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Think for now I will just get the Pro Edge attachment for my s/b and if I end up with alot of edging maybe look into an Edgit after warranty expires on my Stihl which won't be until July of 2004 :cool:
    I got the 2 year "homeowner" warranty even though it was for light "commercial" use, dealer said it would be ok. :blush: :cool: :D