Stick Edger or Walk-behind Edger ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newlooklandscp, Apr 11, 2006.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I picked up 3 major hotels this season and they all want bed edging twice a month along with mulch cultivation (yes they do get charged for it). This is my problem; two of the hotels are mostly straight to curvey edges which isnt a problem with a walk-behind edger. But the lengths are quite long so by hand sucks. The other hotel, well geez, theres not really any long wavy beds around the building, but the kicker is the outer areas of the property, has between 30-40 trees ranging from 3' to 6' diameter circles around them. I can get a good deal on a used walk-behind edger but is a stick edger better for these jobs? Would a stick edger get heavy after awhile since theres so much to edge? On a side note, they want the nice deep edges and I also do alot of installations where I think I would use a walk-behind edger alot. Most of my residental I could probably use the walk-behind edger more than the stick. So what do you guys think? Get the walk-behind (good deal) or a stick edger or both? I have the room in the trailer so thats no a problem, I just dont want to get screwed at these accounts in man hours to edge beds. Thanks for the help.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stick edger that we use mainly on residential properties. From the sounds of your properties a walkbehind edger might be better if you have a lot of long runs that need to be edged. Have you looked into bed edgers, I believe Brown is one of the companies that makes them.
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Different strokes for different folks. The debate on what type of edger to use has been going on since day one, so what works for one guy may not work for you. But here is my two cents worth…

I have both the stick edger and walk behind, as well as an Edgit, and for me they all have their places. Rarely do I use the walk behind for normal maintenance. I find that on most of the properties that I service it’s just too difficult to maneuver around. The stick edger I use about equally along with the Edgit. Some people have a tough time keeping the stick edger running straight without wandering off line, and it can get your arms tired after a period, but for me it’s my pick of the day.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I say buy both. Critical Care is right, WB, stick and Edgit all have their place depending on the application.

If you're doing a lot of beds and tree circle edging, my vote is for the Edgit. I'm thinking your best bet is an Edgit/trimmer and a WB (Tanaka!!!!). The combo of those 2 will work perfectly for your needs.
  5. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

by walk-behind I meant the Brown 708H Bededger, just to clarify. So whats a good stick edger out there then?

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like the Stihl stick edgers, I think there is a need for both a stick and a walk behind, I have both.
  7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

PowerTrim w/b edger + Edgit = perfect edges on any lawn.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

You will not want to use the Brown for regular is a renovation tool for cutting new edges or seasonal fix-up. It will leave alot of dirt on top of your mulch, creating more work. I have always use my stick edger for regular maintenance. But I don't do as much as you are talking about.
  9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick edger...:usflag:
  10. The Chubster

The Chubster LawnSite Member

I use a RedMax stick edger...Not nearly as much as what you you be using it gets pretty darn heavy after a while...I don't know how heavy other sitck edgers are???