stick edger vs conventional

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Jan 10, 2006.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a new edger. whos the cats ass and whats the difference between stick and conventional.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

some will say use a stick edger some will say only there brand is good, some will say they only use a line trimmer for edging, some will say the edgit is the only way to go....

this is one thing no one can agree on .....i love the stick edger, and any commercial brand, to me is as good as the next commercial brand...

i think what ever your dealer carries is the best, ... accessable parts and service...

weither its a walk behind edger or a stick..

i think the only time you need a walk behind is when cutting a new or terribly over grown edge, personally, my stick edger hasent seen a edge too thick for it..

3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Stick edgers are nice you can put them right on your rack that you store your trimmers on. Plus they are light weight and easy to handle. I personally have two and would never go without. In comparison to a trimmer they are 20 times faster plus your edge is dead straight.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

depends on what you are doing with it. are you talking about weekly maintenance of sidewalk edges or are you talking bed edge renovations.

If all you are using it for is sidewalks, driveways and keeping grass from growing into beds on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, IMO you are crazy with anything other than a stick edger.

My sitck edger works great on the overgrown edges too.

But there are other "edgers" that do tons of other stuff as well and are walk behind. Stick edgers will not do this kind of work.

Price stick edger $350 Multitask edger that will cut a 4 inch wide edger and stuff $2500. Completely different animals.

Do a search, this topic had been beaten into the ground on at leat 10 occasions.

5. BufalinoLand

I need one to maintain sidewalks and driveways

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Buf, What brands do you see being used the most? What brand(s) does your dealer carry?

I have a Stihl FC110 and am overall happy with it. I did replace the standard "D" handle with a trimmer handle and find that it gives me better balance. Good luck in you search.

Rob

7. BufalinoLand

Rob

IM a big stihl fan.what handle did you replace and how much for the unit

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree, I like Stihl as well. A regular edger definetly does a better job that using your trimming line.

9. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

I would go with anything with a 4 stroke engine on it. Both of mine are 2 strokes. The benefit to the 4 stroke is it runs on straight gas and you have more power. Down fall is that it is alittle heavier.

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought a Stihl FC75 stick edger this year, for the past 3 or four year we had just used trimmer to edge. Using the stick edger the edges last longer, its cleaner and takes less time.